Chapter 43

Chapter Music: "Moonlit Dust" by Derek & Brandon Fiechter

Astaroth obviously saw right through me before I even opened my mouth. "Take it off your mind," he said curtly.

"But your life–!"

"Don't bother arguing with me," he snapped and added, raising his brows: "I won't compromise on this one."

His unsmiling face only proved his words. The last time I'd seen him so resolute was when he'd insisted on prioritizing my safety over his. Could this be the reason behind his secrecy?

"Will you at least let me know in time?"

He stood silent for a moment before answering ambiguously: "Perhaps you already know."

"Back home, I heard a female voice in my head," I said, sensing that this could be related to the matter at hand, somehow.

Of course, Astaroth was slightly taken aback by my statement.

"You don't know whose voice that was." That wasn't a question. He simply wanted to confirm a hunch.

I shook my head. "You're not going to tell me, are you?"

"No," he said, seemingly immersed in his own reflections. "...Why are you even here?"

I stared at him, wide-eyed. Where did this come from?

"I, uh–"

"No. Forget it." His expression now turned disturbed. "Never think about how everything started. Promise me."

"You know I can't do that," I tried to speak as gently as I could. Clearly, that issue upset him.

I wonder why.

All of a sudden, I found myself tightly enveloped in his arms.

"What's wrong?" I softly hugged him back.

First stern, then fragile. I wanted to believe it was all due to his fickle demonic nature.

"Would you ever regret meeting me?" he replied, his tone just above a whisper.

"I don't think so. As long as you're yourself–"

"Even if I am, would you ever regret it?"

So the problem wasn't his nature itself? Did that have to do with what he had told me before we left the campus? That we probably wouldn't be able to live a peaceful life? That both our lives could be in danger? Was he afraid of what would happen to him? And why would I regret meeting him? Even though my mind was buzzing with information, I couldn't seem to piece it all together.

I had to begin somewhere: "Have I not made my feelings clear?"

Having heard no answer, I started worrying. Was that the case then? I may have some drawbacks, but I don't consider my feelings unstable –not unless someone changes first.

"That's not it," he finally said, sharply, and moved away from me. "Just do me a favor and forget this."

He didn't wait for an answer; he simply walked away and disappeared into his study, leaving me speechless at his peculiar behavior.

"You may want to start getting ready for tonight," he spoke from inside the other room.

"S-sure. I guess I'll have a bath then."

But still, I just can't take his clinging to me off my head. He seemed as though he desperately wanted to share his worries with me yet, at the same time, his logic advised him not to. I wish I could help, somehow. What could he be hiding?