Chapter 31

Chapter Music: "Past Story" from the anime "Fairy Tail"

I crawled beside him wearing a reserved smile on my face, curious about what and how much he was about to tell me. He could be mean and menacing but I found myself equally in love with that side of him as well. I was in love with both the ruthless and sadistic Astar and, of course, with the one who was spoiling me without good reason.

My reaction seemed to have made quite an impression on him so I prepared myself for his next sarcastic comment.

However, he only avoided my gaze and fixed his eyes somewhere else, "We'll talk after we've settled down somewhere."

"What do you mean? Do you have a plan for after we leave?" I wondered how I would ever make it out there without him.

His expression turned dark as he shifted his gaze to me. "How much do you know about life outside?"

"I guess it would be difficult for a human to make it."

I had a vague idea that humans were being manipulated not only by demons but also everyone else who was stronger than them. Even wizard villages weren't too favorably disposed toward them as they made easy prey for demon attacks, putting the whole community at stake.

"So you don't know the details."

I shook my head. Honestly, I was really curious to find out.

"We..." he paused, "may not be able to live very peacefully."

I stayed silent to consider his words. I knew that much about myself but wouldn't Astar's presence make it somewhat easier?

"You'd probably wouldn't lead an easier life without me," he added, troubled, confirming my thoughts. But why 'probably'? It seemed that I still didn't know enough about his life.

"I, uh, don't think I would mind even if you made my life harder." That was my impression.

I wasn't one hundred percent sure and reality would soon test my statement. My life had never been truly difficult. Thus, at that moment, it was easy for me to believe that I could stand anything as long as he was with me. But I was never hopelessly romantic. I always tended to acknowledge that it was possible for the opposite scenario to be true, even if that seemed unthinkable for the time being.

"If the time comes, I will be the one to release you from the burden to decide," he said, perhaps sensing my uncertainty.

Somehow, I very much detested that promise. Was he that altruistic he wouldn't mind leaving me? Or did he simply not care that much?

"Will it really come to this?" I asked.

"You should have suspected as much from the moment you first set eyes on me."

Of course. His unusual lifestyle wasn't limited to Astar himself – and he appeared as though he couldn't do anything about it. The way he always conducted himself could only mean trouble. The way he had once divulged to me that he had murdered Luna hadn't given me the impression that he would ever regret it. The way he spoke to everyone and the reason why many people were wary of him only confirmed how ruthless he was. And I was okay with that. I still was. What I couldn't accept was losing that devil of a man from my life.

Would the lives he most likely had taken seek revenge in the form of the living?

No. Would there be a moment when I would have to let him go because being with him would become unbearable? I couldn't imagine what kind of tragedy awaited me if that was the case.