Chapter 62

Chapter Music: "Master Puppeteer" by Brandon & Derek Fiechter

I wasn't wrong about Orias.

His smiles may be bold and nasty as they'd always been, but even an evil genius cannot avoid his secret fears and grievances forever. He didn't need to spell them out for me but neither did he try to hide that hint of sorrow in his eyes.

But, even if his eyes hadn't betrayed him, the few things he'd let me know about his life that day erased any doubt. He had indeed raped, tortured, and killed thousands of humans and wizards from a very young age. However, he would never get romantically involved with a demon or an angel.

I'd be a fool not to notice the pattern. The two superior races weren't only the strongest of all. It was their mental capabilities that made Orias hesitate. It wasn't fear holding him back, but rather something involving respect and consideration.

To Orias, it must have been that simple: If there was someone he disliked, he'd gladly slaughter them without considering their race. Neither did he seem to have the patience to carefully balance their good and bad traits as Astaroth would. On the contrary, he'd let his instincts lead him, just like he'd done with the government representatives. He wasn't too righteous, but he didn't seem to have any regrets about that.

He would never have feelings for someone he considered mentally inferior. That was the very reason why he'd only have sex with humans and wizards. He didn't mind hurting the feelings of those he loathed. Empathy was only reserved for those who he respected.

His way of life had been full of examples why he'd always end up hurting someone. Orias was too greedy, too intolerant, too arrogant to love. And few are the masochists who'd like someone like that. Few would be smart and selfless at the same time. Few would stare at the darkness in him, craving even more. I believed that was why he'd never had a serious relationship before.

Just then, I heard the monotonous voice of a guard I was familiar with.

"Dinner," he said, sliding a tray under the metal door.

Not even bothering to show some pride, I rushed to the other side of my small cell and placed the tray in my lap. I grabbed the spoon and started eating hungrily, grateful that I finally had something else other than my thoughts to keep myself entertained. Soup or not, food would always help ease my boredom.

I had grown tired of seeing the same stone walls every single day and the first level was way too quiet. Sometimes I wondered how it would feel like to live on the second or third level. But those thoughts never stayed in my mind more than a minute. Was I really jealous of those who were starting to lose their sanity? There was a reason why the prison was arranged like that and the fact that I had started considering the other options was scaring me.

Was I going crazy too?

It wasn't like that in the beginning. I didn't want to admit it to myself but I was hopeful. I didn't wish to face reality because it was too damn grim. However, such an irrational sentiment would never last long in my mind. Acceptance is anything but pleasant but it always comes in the end.

Having finished my dinner, I slid the tray back under the door and crawled to bed. Although I had woken up minutes ago, I felt like sleeping again –thankfully, not out of boredom, this time. Sleeping right after eating had become a favorite habit of mine since that was when my fears would finally subside. After at least one month in prison, I had become an expert in organizing my routine so as to minimize the pain.

It worked quite well at first, but here I am now terrified by the mere thought that the rest of my life is going to be like this.

Astaroth. Orias. How can you handle something even worse? How much I wish you didn't suffer!