Chapter 29

Chapter Music: "Legend of the Dark Lord" by Derek Fiechter

After a few minutes of walking, we reached the room I had only been allowed into on the first day I had appeared in that world: the principal's office.

Mr. Stanwood knocked on the door and entered with me. Before me, I could see Mr. Hibbert, Seraphina, and the head of the academy himself, Mr. Ashford. Those would be the ones to 'talk' to me?

"Long time no see, Ms. Black," Mr. Ashford was the first one to talk. Strangely enough, he appeared friendlier than the rest of them.

"Hello," I hesitantly greeted everyone although I wasn't exactly happy to see them.

"Let's not waste any time," Seraphina said sternly enough.

Everyone looked more severe than I remembered them. Was it that they were truly bad people or did they have a good reason to be so uptight? For some reason, I was inclined towards the latter.

At the principal's discreet signal, something that looked like a transparent aura spread across the whole room.

"Yes, this is one of the tricks that lowlife can do," Seraphina explained to me in a hateful tone which slightly took me aback. But then again, I should have seen that coming, judging from our last encounter out in the forest. Her looks definitely didn't match her true colors.

"Are we in another dimension?" I asked, trying to remain calm.

"Yes," said Mr. Stanwood. "So that he won't be a disturbance."

Even though I knew that none of this would be tolerated, I felt like screaming and running away. Those people were unfairly keeping me there against my will! Astar may be a shady guy but how could they act so unreasonably when they had allowed his presence on campus? And why would they pursue me when I had done nothing wrong? I gathered my courage and tried to avoid any rash actions since they would probably achieve nothing or even make things worse; nothing serious had happened yet.

However, the fact that I was being kept in there by force and that Astar was absolutely unwelcome there, combined with the disapproval in everyone's eyes, was enough for me to understand that this meeting wouldn't be a simple one.

"Please, take a seat, Ms. Black," said finally the principal gesturing me towards a comfortable armchair.

I listened to him and took a seat, waiting for what they needed to tell me.

"First of all," Seraphina began talking, "you are in a relationship with Astaroth, right?"

I didn't think there would be a point in denying it.

"I am."

Everyone's faces stiffened at my answer. Were they really hoping I would say no?

"In this case, we must ask you to break up with him right away," she continued.

"Why?"

"For plenty of reasons. Is your own safety convincing enough?"

"My own safety is something I decide." I had already been prepared for that question and I no longer needed to consider the answer. Because, just as many other words, 'safety' had more than one definition.

"Very well," Seraphina continued displeased as if she had also anticipated this response, "Then we are forced to threaten you."

"What are you resolved to do?"

Mr. Stanwood was the one to speak this time: "We could expel you or kill you," he didn't sound as ruthless as Seraphina yet I could see he was as determined as the others.