Chapter 57

Chapter Music: "Nocturnal Lullaby" by Derek Fiechter

Astaroth... You wished that I'd live happily without you; that I wouldn't let guilt stop me from finding someone else. If you could take those words back now, would you do it?

And if you did, would it make any difference? Could I ever find the strength to stop, knowing that my feelings for him were hurting you?

The answer to this terrifies me.

Because I kissed him back. I did my best to show him how much I liked what he was doing to me. His hands on the sides of my face were the safest place I could find myself in. His warm breath, his scent, all the sounds we made as we kissed lulled me into a trance.

It all felt familiar. Yet it was so painfully different.

He was not you. But it felt like he could become just as important.

"Please," I whispered, struggling to control my labored breathing, "wait."

"I'll wait but I won't stop," Orias replied hoarsely, refusing to distance himself in the slightest.

"I... wouldn't want you to stop."

"Good. Because I don't feel like slowing down."

"How serious is this to you?"

He let out a dark laugh. "This is troubling you?"

I only furrowed my brow in response.

"Very," he said finally, looking straight into my eyes. "And I see that you feel the same way."

I frowned. Guilt was slowly eating away at me and all I could do was endure it. No matter what I did, my feelings would remain there. Even if I pushed Orias away, my mind had already betrayed Astaroth.

How did this happen...?

"All you could see was... him," he spoke coldly as if to address my thoughts. "You've disappointed me, Sophia. I didn't expect you to be so ignorant of your own emotions."

He was right. Orias had always seemed strangely fascinating and now I could clearly see why. If I could love Astaroth, why wouldn't I love him?

"I-I'm sorry," I stammered.

"That's enough," he growled and bit down on my bottom lip.

I couldn't suppress the moan that escaped me. I whimpered like a pathetic little girl.

"Fuck this." He pulled away with a grunt. "Stay here."

He stood up and walked out of the room without even looking back. Only then did I notice that we were the only ones left in there –apart from the corpse we were making out on, of course.

I stood up as well and started pacing around. I needed to get my thoughts together. Right away. Because he'd soon be back and I would...

Hell, I don't know what I could do. How far it could get...

The day before I'd been lying in the arms of a man I feared I would lose forever; a man I never stopped caring about. Yet here I was kissing his best friend, worried about whether he was being serious or not.

Was I trying to get myself into a rebound relationship already? Definitely not. There was no doubt anymore that Astaroth had always known who I was and there was no point in trying to delude myself: I could love them both. My standards were high but that didn't mean I could stick to one man.