Chapter 45

Chapter Music: "Masquerade Ball" by Derek Fiechter

Never in his wildest dreams would he imagine stepping foot in a place so horrid. Not only was he afraid for his life, but deciding to move into the root of his nightmares made him feel sick to his stomach. He kept blaming his pitiful self over and over as he was walking closer to the large banquet hall where all the noise was coming from. Of course, the entryway was eerily empty –so much that he almost expected someone to jump at him from behind. Thankfully, he wasn't inexperienced anymore and took some pride in his skills; but who knew what kind of demon would try to attack him?

He had been so hesitant throughout his entire journey that he had barely made it in time for the ceremony. And the option of using up his mana to teleport to such a secluded area was inconceivable. He would need his maximum power for defense should something unfortunate happen.

By the time he stepped into the vast chamber, a wave of displeasure overtook him as hidden memories of his past started to emerge from the depths of his mind. Everything and everyone around him was tinged with sin. Black, silver, and red were the predominant colors. Certainly, he wasn't trying to deceive himself; he was one of them.

But, at the very least, he had put some clothes on! On the contrary, most demons had come wearing only their underwear and –even worse– the numerous humans he could spot were naked, made to stand in a corner like merchandise to be consumed.

Ah, humans, Merihem thought, unable to contain his empathetic nature. They must be truly terrified. Those predators look like they can hardly control themselves.

At some point, the voices quieted down and everyone –both demons and humans– turned to look in one direction. His heart leaped at the sight before his eyes once he followed the crowd's gaze. It was his Master, Astaroth, along with his best friend, Sophia! His excitement was so immense, he felt his eyes watering up. Suddenly, neither the long, frightening journey nor the grief about his recent past mattered. Oh, would they accept him there? Would it be okay now that he had grown capable of defending himself?! He trusted that the new King would guarantee his stay in the realm.

Merihem let out a soft chuckle, spotting the familiar smug expression on his Master's face. As for Sophia, she looked reserved yet confident. No wonder about that. She had the soon-to-be Demon King by her side. They both looked perfect together; they had the same malevolent darkness in their gaze. That common trait of theirs was imperceptible, yet so disturbingly charming. Merihem almost felt ashamed his face didn't look like that.

However, no sooner had this thought crossed his mind than Merihem second-guessed himself. 'What's wrong with me?' he wondered.

As if desperate to steer his thoughts in a different direction, he shifted his gaze to his friends again. He couldn't help but notice that Astaroth was in his true form. No in-between anymore. And he appeared so calm.

How was that possible? He couldn't have managed to fight his deranged nature so easily. For some reason, the young demon sensed that his Master must be fighting really hard against his passions to prevent them from taking over his mind. Did Sophia know of the danger she was in?

"Dear friend!" Lord Orias broke the silence and approached the couple. "I see you made it to your coronation this time!"

"Ecstatic, aren't you?" a not amused Astaroth answered back.

"Why wouldn't I be? It seems that you're finally taking your duties seriously!" The wide smile couldn't look more fake.

"Why, I wonder."