Chapter 52

Chapter Music: "Darkmist Estate" by Derek & Brandon Fiechter

Orias seemed like a logical man. He couldn't possibly accuse me of something Astaroth alone had wanted. If it was up to me, I'd choose war any day. It was far more preferable to the current situation.

"You said you would consider fighting, in the beginning," I replied calmly. "Have you changed your mind now?"

"That was my second point," he avoided my eyes, dismayed. "I no longer consider my friend irrational for wanting to protect you. I can now see why he was always so serious about you."

I knitted my brows in confusion. There's something odd about this second point.

"Don't think too much into it," he warned. "Don't you have other questions?"

That's right. I have much more to ask.

"Can't we somehow explain that this is all a misunderstanding?"

Orias only shook his head and glanced towards the man named Caim – who had left to continue his job. "It's too late. They've already announced that they were surprised to discover this museum. They can't take that back because people would start questioning their power to implement justice. And besides, they could never be fully convinced. They can't be sure of our intentions."

"What if Astaroth returned but not as King?"

"Everyone is well aware that Astaroth was forced to leave the Academy and that he's unwanted in any safe place beside the Demon Realm. He has nowhere else to go and the angels know he would still stay with us. This means that he could still coordinate the demon race and reign once more when time demanded it."

"Damn. There must be some way to get him out!"

"Sophia," Orias sympathetically rested his hand on top of my head, "there is nothing we can do anymore. Astaroth would be the first one to think of a solution. Come now, let me show you around."

Is there no solution, after all? It can't be.

"No," I stubbornly declared. "I can't accept that. I've only been patient for all this time to find out why and how this situation can be resolved. I won't waste any time here while Astaroth is in there, suffering!"

I took a step back, resolute on visiting the prison myself.

But Orias was just as resolute. He grabbed my arm, angrier than any other time.

"There is nothing to do and don't make me stop you with my magic!" he threatened. "Now, since you're supposed to be the genius here, tell me, how will you ever get inside with a fake ID on your wrist? Except if you want to go directly to your own secluded cell. And don't you need to be at least informed about the place that sent your lover to that torture cave?!"

"Why torture? I never knew about torture." My worries overpowered my courage at once.

Orias only scoffed, a large smile carved on his face. "Where did you think the creator of this would be sent? Directly to the bottom level, of course. And you know about what? The first two closest to the ground surface?"

"Three." Merihem had made it clear that access to the remaining levels was strictly forbidden.

"And didn't you notice the escalation of cruelty?" He raised his eyebrows. "The fifth level is an eye for an eye world and I assure you that the angels are determined to make him pay for each and every murder he's responsible for. Do you really think they'd let you march in a place like that?"