Chapter 33

Chapter Music: "Nighthawk Forest" by Derek Fiechter

I took my beverage as soon as it was ready, paid, and quickly walked out of the place – now filled with people staring and gossiping about us.

"Ready to leave?" he asked me once we were out of the café.

"Didn't you say you'd bring our stuff?" I took a good look at him to see him lightly dressed as always.

He only raised his left sleeve a little, revealing the black and thin tattoo everyone had and also the other claw-like tattoo I had seen the other day.

"How did you get this?" I pointed at the latter and started observing it closely. It had sharp edges and indeed seemed to continue to the upper part of his arm.

Hearing no reaction from him, I raised my head and came across a quite agitated face.

"What?"

"People here can carry their belongings with the help of this," he pointed at the other tattoo, completely ignoring my question.

"But I've seen students and professors with bags." I decided not to press the issue for now.

"That's because it's energy consuming. That only applies to those with magic power though. You couldn't do it even if you had a tattoo."

"So you're consuming more energy by carrying my things?!" That was unfair!

"And I'm thankful for that. You barely have a thing in your possession anyway," he grinned menacingly, probably implying that all I could do was obey.

Being reminded of his reaction back in my room, I kept my mouth shut. He was rather adamant about me staying with him. And, certainly, he pretended not to notice my expression which was full of displeasure. It would be a hassle making a scene in the middle of a public place.

It was not obvious at all that we were on our way out of the campus, but I had a feeling that everyone knew, judging by the way they were staring at us. Even though I never looked at them directly, I could discern basic emotions; anger, fear, jealousy, curiosity, relief. I could justify most of them. The mystery man and woman were leaving together after the little mess they had made. It wasn't hard to imagine what everyone would think considering the reputation that we had.

Hence, when we reached the entrance gate I couldn't help but feel a little relieved myself. Something was telling me that this wouldn't be the case after a while but at that moment, my mind was occupied by a sentiment of freedom and impatience. I would no longer have to tolerate the students' idiotic stares and I was about to explore a world completely new to me with the person that I cared about.

Astaroth... Who would imagine I could ever meet a man so special like him.

"Ready to go?" he glanced at me pointedly once we were in front of the imposing stone gate. Come to think of it, I had never got so close to the rest of the world.

I just nodded, unable to place my thoughts into words. Because a simple 'yes' wouldn't do. In any case, it was comforting to see that he was in relatively high spirits as well.

Under the predatory gaze of the guards, we let ourselves out of the place which had been home to us for at least several months.

"For how long have you been working here?" I continued my train of thought aloud.

"Everything at the right time," he smirked and visually scanned the area around us with clinical precision. "We should find a place to spend the night as soon as possible."