Chapter 60

Chapter Music: "The Hollow Woods" by Derek Fiechter

No... It can't be.

Something doesn't add up here. Orias and Merihem seem to be suggesting that the angels are after me too. But if today is my last day of freedom, wouldn't Astaroth's sacrifice be for naught? He couldn't have chosen to sacrifice himself, to leave my life in the hands of his enemies. If things were to end up like this, another Grey War would be far more preferable.

Of course, we no longer have the luxury of a violent race conflict. Not while Astaroth's well-being is completely up to them. I don't dare imagine the extent of control they have over him.

So did he miscalculate, after all? Had he not anticipated this outcome when he surrendered to them?

This is the only explanation. Orias is right. This really seems like a dead end. A few days after leaving the Academy behind, I'm presented with two options again. But Astaroth is no longer here to offer me freedom this time.

I wanted to believe I ended up in this era for a reason. Have I disappointed the one who brought me here? Have I somehow failed somewhere along the path?

No... It can't be.

"Please, say something," Merihem's pleading voice interrupted my musings.

"...Why?" I stammered, my thoughts not making sense anymore. "I t-thought that... Astaroth... I d-don't want to—"

"Hush now," I heard Orias whisper in my ear. "Let me take care of this."

This sounds nice. I'm tired of planning for nothing.

Seeing my appreciation, he flashed me a gentle smile before whispering again: "I can make your death feel really sweet, you know."

He kissed my hair, sending butterflies to my stomach –even now.

"I can't let you do this!" Merihem interrupted again.

I heard him grunt in pain. I heard shoes slowly being dragged across the floor. He sounded as if he was trying to free himself from Orias's spell. The demon's arms around me twitched.

"Mind your own business, brat," he growled. "This doesn't have to do with you."

"She's my only friend! She doesn't have to die!"

Orias chuckled again. "I still don't understand how Astaroth could stand being around an airhead like you all the time."

"Don't you think it was a little unexpected for the angels to sentence someone innocent? Something's definitely wrong here. There's clearly another way!"

"What is clear is that, once again, you fail to accept the truth you fear."

"That's not it!"

Right then, I felt a touch on my arm.

"Stay the hell away from us!" Orias roared and the touch disappeared.

I heard a loud thump against the room's wall. I turned my head in the direction of the sound to see a crippled Merihem breathing with difficulty.

"Astaroth doesn't make mistakes," he said in a voice I could barely hear.

That seemed to bring the conversation to a halt. Orias said nothing more yet his body felt tense against mine.

Merihem spoke again: "You can't bring yourself to kill her. You know something's not right."