Chapter 42

Chapter Music: "Valentine's Waltz" by Brandon & Derek Fiechter

We both stayed silent, each one preoccupied with their very own concerns – probably. Astaroth had never had a serious relationship in all those years? I couldn't even start imagining how lonely his life must have been. Yet I also saw myself in him: Solitude never terrified me to an unbearable degree. Was there any chance it was the same for him?

I wrapped my arms around him protectively, as if I could keep some of his sadness away.

"Haven't you ever desired to get closer to someone?" I asked softly.

"No one was like you, Sophia."

I wonder what he wishes to convey through this response.

"I might not be able to think straight anymore," I warned, "but this may as well be love."

He flinched. "Do you really think so after experiencing that?!"

I could imagine why my suggestion had made him furious.

"But you would never really like it with someone else! You only wanted to use me!"

Why did this sound different than what I had in mind?

"And I still want to!"

Before he finished his phrase, he'd already got on top of me, trapping my limbs down with his weight. His menacing expression and the tight grip on my wrists were unnecessary. I could tell that he was in control of himself; plus, I had already proved that I was not afraid of his threats.

"Well, guess what. I want you to as well," I smiled. "Doesn't this make me greedy too?"

"You enjoyed that?" he asked, but looked as though he already knew the answer.

"I like pleasing you."

He must have got the message because he stayed speechless for some time.

"You didn't kill me. You stopped at the right time," I added.

"I stole your energy!"

"You knew I was giving it willingly."

"You wanted me to kill you?!"

"Just as you offered to die a few moments ago."

His eyes widened in realization. To be honest, I had just realized it myself: Astaroth's feelings weren't very different from mine. What we had was not exactly healthy but, perhaps, each of us was giving what the other side needed. Besides, if offering our own lives for the sake of the other wasn't love, I wasn't sure what was.

I took advantage of Astaroth's confusion to free my hands from his grasp and raised myself to my elbows. Staring right into his eyes, I grinned provocatively, asking for his answer. His face, now so close to mine, revealed that he had made up his mind.

I knew that his guilt was gone, by the time he flashed his sly smile –and what an unusual smile that was!

"Humanity really doesn't suit you at all," he breathed, narrowing his eyes.

Hadn't I heard those words, I probably wouldn't be able to tell who that smug expression was for. But I was now sure that his boastful gaze wasn't directed inward.

My face heated up at his more-than-obvious praise and I instinctively averted my eyes.

Chuckling silently, he pushed me back on the bedsheets and started kissing my neck.