Chapter 63

Chapter Music: "Dark Ruins" by Brandon Fiechter

Just then I heard a snicker coming from right beside me.

Astaroth?

Although I could swear that was how I remembered his voice, it hadn't sounded quite like him. Was it true that he had turned mad after all?

I turned to my right and extended my arms, hoping that he was within touching distance. True enough, my palms soon met the hard muscles of his chest, feeling a strong yet steady heartbeat underneath. For some reason, he made no move to approach me. He only kept laughing.

Was he so physically weak that he couldn't even move? Both his pulse and his snide laugh contradicted this hypothesis. Then... why wouldn't he get closer to me? If he was addicted, as most demons probably were, he should be craving my energy by now.

Had he somehow learned about Orias? Did he hate me so much he wouldn't even touch me?

Trying to control my already-growing fears, I hesitantly brought my hand up to his cheek and concentrated on giving him the energy I was sure he needed. I felt his grin widening even more against my palm as his laugh came out louder and bolder this time.

Astaroth. What are you thinking right now? Why are you reacting like this?

Did he expect something more from me? I had no idea what was going on in his mind and, for that, I wouldn't dare get any closer. It was not my safety I was looking out for but his feelings. It was I who had betrayed him in the first place.

I took in a slow, deep breath, and then released it, ever so silently. Astaroth knew I'd still die for him, right? The fact that I was in love with his friend didn't mean that I cared for him any less.

How the hell can I make sure of that?!

Unable to keep my cool, I reached out and embraced him, never stopping the energy transfer for a second. Still, he showed no sign that he needed me. Was I conceited to anticipate something more? There was no need for affection. Even brutality would do. I'd come prepared to let him kill me if he wished. I was ready for anything... except for this.

~~~

Astaroth felt her pulse getting weaker and weaker against his bare skin. But he wouldn't even think of touching her; not until he proved his point. He'd wait until she fell unconscious, taking in her natural need to submit herself to him completely.

One more mocking chuckle rumbled through his chest as he waited patiently. Just a little longer and this whole charade would be over.

One breath... two breaths... How long would it take for her to lose her senses? The more time passed, the stronger his own heartbeats became. How long would it take for them to realize their failure?

Was it hatred he was feeling? As much as he'd tried to rationalize things, he couldn't just forgive the two Priestesses for coming up with this strategy. He couldn't let go of his resentment for what they'd done to him; for bringing others into this. If ridicule had come so naturally to him now that he was subdued, there was no guarantee that he wouldn't attack when he got the chance.

Good, he thought, the moment Sophia's body felt heavier against his. Always so eager to please me.

"Don't you think you've disgraced yourselves enough?" he howled then, raising his chin in defiance. "Will you end this, or shall I?"

The increasing commotion among the guards and prisoners gave Astaroth his answer. He swiftly laid the human on the ground next to him and slowly raised himself on his feet –almost surprised at how easy that was.