Chapter 20

Chapter Music: "Piano" from the otome game "Cinderella Phenomenon"

It was hot yet a familiar woody smell immediately filled my nostrils. Feeling my body slightly sweaty, I stood up and removed the bed sheets that were wrapped around me. Immediately, my gaze fell on Mr. Astar who was now looking at me as well, for he must have sensed me wake up. He was sitting in an armchair close to the lit fireplace with another large book in his arms. He was lightly dressed just like the previous time I had found myself in that room and, as always, all in black. But I didn't remember the fireplace being lit the last time I opened my eyes, neither the covers enveloping me.

Before I had time to speak, he stood up from his seat and left the bedroom/living room spreading within my field of view. Sensing that there must have been a reason behind his usually peculiar behavior, I decided to wait for him patiently. But then I remembered: Where was Merihem? How much time had I been sleeping and why hadn't they woken me up? From what I could tell, glancing outside the window, it looked as if it was late at night. Even the street lamps outside the building had been turned off.

A few moments later, Mr. Astar returned with a glass of water. He stood expressionless beside the bed and gave it to me.

"Thank you," I said, taken aback by his unexpected kindness and emptied the whole glass. "How did you know I was thirsty?"

"Your face is all red."

Wow. And I almost never get flushed. I must have been hotter than I thought.

"Did you cover me with these?" I pointed to the bed sheets.

He nodded with a sneer: "You're easily cold it seems."

Well, that was true. But, at least, that explained the condition I had woken up in. What I couldn't interpret was that man's sudden change of heart. He still seemed cold and scornful but his grey eyes looked more gentle now. I couldn't stop gazing at them.

"You expect an explanation, correct?" he said in an aloof tone and returned to his armchair.

"You don't have to do this now. I've been sleeping in your bed for a long time. I can leave." Somehow his consideration made me more considerate as well. Although I wished I didn't have to leave just yet.

He only shot me an intimidating glare, demanding that I stay in place.

"If you're willing to tell me, I have no objections," I held back a smile.

"How much do you remember?"

"I suspect that my thoughts were the cause of this."

He reluctantly nodded, urging me to continue. Wasn't he certain?

"I remember that as long as I tried to remain positive, black magic didn't really affect me. But I usually make a lot of associations which leads me to mood swings."

"What did you think and stayed positive?"

"Matters that boost my self-confidence. But this is linked to my whole belief system and past experiences," I hesitated, unsure of whether or not to start such a big conversation.

"The night is yours then," his lips curled into a provocative grin.

"You've changed," I simply stated, wondering why an infamous man like him would ever care about my sensitivities. I could see why he would be concerned as a professor but that was too much for him. The first time that had happened, he didn't even care to visit me while I was in bed.

He has indeed changed, I assured myself when I realized how unreal that felt. Maybe not from one moment to another, but he was definitely much kinder since the first time I saw him. Was it just the usual familiarity one has after getting to know the other? Something was telling me that this wasn't the case. Mr. Astar never seemed to warm up to people even after knowing them for months. Inadvertently, my mind wandered to Luna. He couldn't be so nice to her, could he?