Chapter 65

Chapter Music: "Velvet Cape" by Brandon Fiechter

I don't have to open my eyes to know. These emotions feel more and more tangible by the second. Revenge. The rage building up since I can remember. I can feel its density as it twists and wraps itself around my bare form.

Imagine how much destruction I can cause. Imagine the number of casualties. I don't have to know them all. If they can potentially hurt me, they deserve to die.

Laughter escapes my half-parted lips.

Neither Astaroth nor Orias was mad. Their frenzy may seem disturbing to an outsider but I finally knew. They had just rid themselves of any inhibitions that could restrain who they truly were. They didn't care about what the others could think of them. They laughed and killed because they truly enjoyed themselves.

Just like I do now.

It was then when I heard Astaroth's voice inside my head.

"Are you ready?" he asked in a tone that could only be described as ominous. "I can sense angel troops approaching."

What? Was I not underground with Orias just a while ago?

Instinctively, I opened my eyes to assess the situation.

"No," he warned as if he knew what I'd tried to do. "Don't use your senses. You don't have to see, hear, or say anything. Only concentrate on darkness."

"Where are you?" I asked him in my mind before closing my eyes. I could discern nothing, after all.

"Abandon your senses and you'll know."

There he goes again with those tests of his.

"As you wish, Your Majesty," I replied sarcastically and I tried to focus once more.

Is Astaroth smirking right now? But... I can't exactly see his face. It's like his presence is made of energy that betrays his reactions.

Actually, he's not the only one smiling.

Turning to my right, I addressed the demon through my necklace: "Orias?"

"Aw, you found me!" he grumbled in my head. "And I was doing my best to eavesdrop on you two."

"Are you both right next to me?" I asked.

I got no response. Instead, I felt two clawed hands reaching for me. One arm wrapped itself around my waist and pulled me to the right, onto someone's body. The other hand rested on the right side of my neck and pushed it against another person's lips.

A chill ran through my body as I confirmed that they were both as naked as I was. I was about to ask myself how demons could concentrate on fighting like this but then I became aware of something else.

A glimmer of light? It must be far, but still, it feels very unsettling.

Astaroth growled to my left.

"They're sending everyone here," he informed. "If it's one battle they want, that's what we'll give them."

"I'm gathering all known allies here, as planned," Orias replied curtly and seemed to be concentrating on the task.

"Listen to me," Astaroth addressed me in a voice that commanded obedience. "We'll never be free from those annoying do-gooders unless we kill them all. This is the only all-out battle that you'll have to fight. It's the kind of war that ended humanity. I've seen it before and we're about to see it together this time. Only one strategy will keep us alive–"