Chapter 27

Chapter Music: "Darkwell" by Brandon & Derek Fiechter

It was a mistake for Merihem and me not to sleep at all since I had visited his apartment. We both knew that the following day's lesson would be with Mr. Stanwood yet we played board games all night. Apparently, my friend had many games to pass his free time as he would often find himself alone, day and night.

"Don't get me wrong, I love people," he told me that night which we spent together, "It's just that a lot of them seem to avoid me and others are not interested in the things I like."

"Do you have something certain in mind?" I asked although I could already imagine what his response would be.

"Apart from games and animals, I love discussing serious topics," he replied, earnestly.

"That's to be expected. Most people are shallow."

Instead of voicing his objection, as usual, Merihem only grinned, pondering.

"What?" I smiled back.

"Nothing. You just remind me too much of someone."

Most likely, that would be Astar. It wasn't that he knew many people who could agree with me.

"You don't share my opinion then," I smirked. Implying that I reminded him of his Master was the best way for him to be polite when reacting to my statement. I already knew where this discussion was going.

"That's a way to look at it," his gaze turned intrigued, probably because the conversation was getting too interesting. "But one can't choose their likes and dislikes."

"Keep talking," I grinned causing him to mimic my expression.

"It's just that I can't really blame them, you know?"

I nodded in understanding. "In this logic, we didn't choose to be superior either. But everything is judged here. Why should we suffer their unfair treatment while they get away with it? I don't remember many of those accepting us, considering that we didn't choose to be who we are either."

Merihem's face clouded over: "So would you like to enforce justice if you could?"

"Yes."

Despite the fact that we had discussed this topic several times already, we never seemed to get tired of it. We essentially knew where it would lead us, yet we foolishly hoped that one could adopt the view of the other. And that was why, pretty often, our conversations would reach a dead end.

That, along with the fact that almost everything seemed to be connected to that small hypothesis: I valued my independence partly because of the awful society, I loved analyzing dark concepts partly because of the awful society, I loved technology partly because of the awful society. To be honest I was sometimes grateful to the awful society as well. Thanks to their ignorance and greed, I felt more unique and I could enjoy a great variety of things besides socialization.

Merihem, of course, could not keep up with this logic. To him introversion was merely a state of exile; a situation he would gladly exchange if he could feel at home along with people. That was the only thing he needed so as not to feel lonely. The major reason he was still my friend was his selflessness; his interest in me and his willingness to spend time together despite our differences. I very much preferred him to those whose mind was similar to mine yet they stuck to their egocentric way of life.

Hence this time, as always, he didn't like my answer and it wasn't that he simply disagreed with me. I could tell there was something more there, which he wouldn't be able to disclose to me. I somehow got the feeling that it was all related to Astar. He was most likely familiar with his cruel 'justice-enforcement' methods.