Apparation and Quidditch

Apparating was our next class. So our second elective was cancelled. That means no Divination. YAYAYA!! I've always hated Divination, because you really didn't learn anything but theories. Besides in real life and death situations, how can theories help you? I didn't want Runes because that was too useless. I didn't want Muggle Studies because I've already had enough experience doing to Muggle summer school. Care of Magical Creatures was a little boring and we thought of Hagrid as a little joke in Ravenclaw. I didn't, really. But I didn't want to stick out as much as I do already. So the only elective I enjoyed was Arithmancy because I was excellent at maths.

So in Apparating class, we sixth years walked to a huge room that had these few hundred hoops scattered on the floors, separated from each one by a couple of feet.

I followed the Ravenclaws who stood by Flitwick. My hoop was in between Padma's and Justin's.

"Darius is directly behind you,"Padma whispers."Don't look."

"Your goal is to make it inside the hoop in front of you!"McGonagall instructs."First person who does earns their House 50 points!"

"Get us some points, Yang!"a few Ravenclaws yell. I grin at them. I've Apparated and Disapparated before, so going from a few inches back was a piece of cake.

"You may begin!"

I concentrate, blocking out everything in the room, except for the hoop. I feel my eyebrows scrunched, my face hot and starting to perspire, my lips pressed tightly together in concentration. Then I felt it. The horrible sensation of being dropped from space to earth, your insides feeling like they're coming out. I open my eyes to see myself inside the hoop.

"Margaret Yang, well done!"Flitwick cheeps.

"Impressive, Miss Yang!"Slughorn applauds."50 points to Ravenclaw!" My House cheers, Padma high fives me, Justin claps me on my shoulder, and Darius looks at me grandly.

***

Today, I got a late notice that there would be a Ravenclaw Quidditch team meeting in the morning. I ponytail my hair, dress into my heavy Quidditch gear, and head out onto the field.

Cho, Justin, Michael, and Terry at the field, and a bunch of other Ravenclaws who didn't play. Including Marietta. Who was talking to Cho, so I hung with Justin, Michael, and Terry.

"So things haven't been good with Cho and Marietta, since, you know, that cockroach betrayed us?"Justin asks. A bit too loud, because Marietta glares at us. I ignore her.

"Nope,"I say,"She's turning Cho against me, but she can do whatever she likes, it's not like she'll actually make it to this team..."

"Yeah, we need REAL players,"Terry adds.

"Yeah, but who'll be captain since Davies is gone?"Michael inquires.

"Margaret,"Justin replies.

"What?!"I say incredulously,"How the devil would I be captain?"

"Because you're a good player,"Michael answers.

"But I'm not a leader and I'm not the oldest,"I say.

"But Terry, Michael and I vote you,"Justin says simply.

"Besides,"Michael says,"People say that you need to have leadership, but in Quidditch, you need real skills."

"Thanks,"I mutter.

"The only problem is that you'll have to compete against Chang,"Terry puts in."You'll beat her for sure, though."

Just then, Madame Hooch says,"Cho and Margaret, your turn!"

My friends clap me on the back as I grip my Thunderbolt and start forward.

"The goal is to dodge the Bludgers, throw in the Quaffle, and catch the Snitch. Go!" I am airborne before Cho, and already started shooting the Quaffle through the hoops. The Bludgers come, and I simply lean to the side to avoid them. Cho comes up, and barely misses a Bludger aimed toward her. I throw the Quaffle in a few more times, and heave it as hard as I could away. That should buy me some time.

The Snitch. Where was it? I wasn't a very skilled Seeker. A Bludger whizzes past my ear in the midst if my thoughts. I fly around the field, keeping my eyes and ears keen for the small golden Snitch. I glance up just the right time. A shadow of the Snitch was in the Sun, and I spiral up towards it. I grasp the handle of my broom with my left hand, and outstretch my other hand. Cautiously, I place my feet onto the broomstick, keeping my balance, one eye on my Thunderbolt, the other on the Snitch.

"Come on!"I whisper to my broomstick, "Follow the Snitch!" It jerks roughly up, nearly throwing me off balance as my foot slips off the broomstick, but leveling me with the Snitch. Hey, I don't know that Thunderbolts take orders! My fingertips touch the metal wing. Closer. Just a few more centimeters. My Thunderbolt obeys my thoughts and goes forward, and I risk my life by letting go on all threes, and grabbing the Snitch. Keeping a grip on it, my sweaty hand almost slipping from the handle, I order my Thunderbolt to put me on top of it. It slows down from falling, and I heave myself on top of it, and fly downwards and onto the field. Justin, Michael, and Terry cheer the loudest. The non players are clapping, even Cho, Marietta glaring at me. The only problem was, she didn't really matter now, as Terry, Justin, and Michael carry me on their shoulders.

"The new Ravenclaw Quidditch captain is Margaret Yang!"Madame Hooch announces."Tomorrow you will be recruiting new players."

Thank god I'm not a Seeker.