After months of seeing Dan at lunch and talking to him during classes, Phil finally got the courage to ask someone. He knew Dan wouldn't answer, so he went to someone else in his grade- Cornelia. She was on her way out the door of the school when he pulled her to the side. She immediately pulled her arm away.

"What?!" She asked, venom in her voice.
"Can I talk to you?" He asked quietly, she rolled her eyes and crossed her arms.
"Why?" She frowned.
"I just... need to know some things... about me- before popularity," He hoped. Her look softened, she wasn't happy about it, but she grabbed his wrist and pulled them to her car.

"What do you want to know?" She sighed.
"What was the rumor that started about me?" He asked. "The one that made me popular?"
"Let me guess, Dan wouldn't tell you?" She asked, Phil shook his head. She looked at him for a while, wanting to be annoyed, but he just looked honestly confused. She dropped her sarcastic/angry shtick.

"Well you, two used to be best friends- like best friends... In the beginning of grade eight you two got so close you started dating-"
"I dated Dan?" He immediately stopped her story. She nodded, smiling too.
"In secret. But then you guys went on a date and kissed and it spread. Neither of you were ready to be open about it because school is a war zone and you didn't need another thing to be made fun of for. When it spread you both got scared. He decided to keep his distance, but you... you made a homophobic joke against Dan to protect yourself. They thought you were funny and all made fun of Dan since. You didn't at first, but then you just... became one with your crowd," She shrugged.

There it was again- that queasy feeling. Phil felt awful. How could he do that to someone? And Dan especially. No wonder he hated him at first.

"He's right about you though," Her voice broke Phil from his thoughts. He tilted his head at her and she realized why he was confused. "You really are nothing like post-popularity Phil. You're like the old Phil.. the nice Phil."
"You talk to Dan?" Phil asked.
"Yeah." She looked away for a few moments. There was an awkward silence and then- "we used to be best friends you know," She looked back at Phil- whose eyes were wide. "You me and Dan. We were so close," She smiled. "You're the reason I'm dating your brother." That made Phil smile, they really did seem happy together.

"And then that happened and well... that's why I don't like you," She sighed.
"I'm sorry I did that," Phil whispered, she shrugged.
"It's in the past now, and I forgive you." She clapped him in the back. "From the sounds of it, you're back to your real self." Phil nodded, hoping she was right.

"Why couldn't Dan tell me that?" He asked quietly. The question came flying out of his mouth before he even realized he thought it.
"Losing you... that was really hard for him. And the way it happened... popularity- you beat him up for years. He had to fight the person he fell in love with," Her voice went gentle. "But now he talks about you the way he used to, and you've changed so much... That was already taken away from his once, and probably doesn't want to repeat that past."

Phil suddenly had an idea and yanked Cornelia into a hug. She half-hugged back in confusion and frowned at him when he pulled away. "Stay here, I'll be back!" He jumped out the doors and almost sprinted to the library.

Dan looked up with a jump once the doors burst open. It was loud compared to the quiet nature around him. He looked up to see Phil standing there panting, his eyes widened as he stormed over to him. Thankfully no one else was in there- as always.

"Did you just go for a jog?" Dan teased letting out a laugh. He immediately stopped once Phil got to him. Before he could say anything Phil grabbed him by his sweatshirt and pulled him in for a hard and passionate kiss. Dan was stunned, this literally came out of no where, but the more Phil's lips softened against his, the less tense he was. He threw himself into it, letting his hands go to Phil's cheeks.

He couldn't find the power in him to open his eyes once Phil pulled away. He was scared tears would pour out of them. "God, I missed that," The words were out his mouth before he could even think. He took shaky breaths and put his forehead to Phil's.

"How could I have ever forgotten something as amazing as that?" Dan opened his eyes to Phil's watery ones.
"You talked to Cornelia... didn't you?" Dan winced. Phil wearily brought his hands up and wove them into the nape of Dan's neck.
"Why didn't you tell me?" Phil whispered, Dan didn't could feel the heat of his breath bounce off of his lips as Phil spoke.
"I didn't want to lose you again... I just got you back," Dan's voice wavered, but that was all it took for Phil to lean in again.

Phil deepened the kiss, wanting to make up for years of memories they could've shared together. He just couldn't get enough of kissing Dan. It was intoxicating. He wanted to kiss Dan everywhere he's ever caused him pain. How many black eyes could he kiss away? He many pieces did his heart shatter into?

"Phil?!" Suddenly Noah's loud, annoying voice broke through the room. Phil sighed and pulled away, looking at him.
"What?" He asked, wanting to get back to making out with Dan.
"What the fuck are you doing mate?!" His voice went up an octave.
"What does it look like I'm doing?" Phil rolled his eyes at him.
"It looks like you're having too much of a fun time with Howell over there," He scoffed.
"Okay... and?" Phil looked at the clock. "Oh yeah, Dan we have to leave, let's go." Phil grabbed his hand and walked out the door. "Bye Noah!" He called as he took Dan to Cornelia's car.

They hopped in the backseat with smiles on their faces. "You two are back together I see?" Cornelia laughed. Phil squeezed Dan's hand.
"Yeah," He beamed at her. "Let's go."
"Where?" Dan laughed, Phil shrugged.
"Anywhere, we've got years of lost time, so let's get started," He answered. Cornelia agreed and started her car, driving away.

"Glad to have you back, Phil," Her voice was as cheerful as ever. 
"Glad to be back," He laughed and turned to Dan- kissing him once more. "And I'm never leaving again," He whispered.