At least, Dreamer | Conner Kent x Reader

Description: "Kon, look at me," you said, gently. He doesn't at first, and it tears a note in your voice, "Please."
Words: 1493
Notes: I haven't done this in a while!! I just randomly busted this out of nowhere. I'm sorry if this makes 0% sense. I still hope you like it, though!! There might be some sort of message in here, but I'll let you guys figured that out =D

_

"This isn't real," he says, and it's almost heartbroken enough to be true.

It's not just the fact that you're here, finally, after months and months of absence, searching space for an adventure and a purpose he couldn't follow. It's not that you're different. Well, that's still noticeable—the fancy space armor and the new upgrade in the space-cops thing is hard to ignore. But everything's wrong, like you traveled back in time just to see him again.

The waves are cool, the rocking motion like a lullaby for the moon in its distorted reflection. It's beautiful in a way Conner's never been able to articulate. Like the moon and the water are sliding against each other, comparing the size of their hands only to entangle them under the cover of the night sky. You're just observers to the romance. But even if you aren't accustomed to such a thing, Conner definitely is.

He has to remind himself that you're outside the mountain, sitting on the beach, because when you sigh an, "Oh, Conner," he's back home again.

Conner—Superboy, because that was the only name he'd taken then—had just got home from patrol, settled his boots on the beach outside the house he shared with Rex and Roxy Leech. Then arms would settle around him. A voice would tease him something fierce, call him the Hero of Hawaii with that sweetly mocking tone. And he would know them right away, would always know them, like it had been programmed into him from the start for his knees to buckle whenever you looked at him.

He used to joke about it. Maybe you were a failsafe, an early weakness they could exploit at CADMUS had he escaped. But you were too smart and too brave and too sharp for it to work. That part, at least, had been confirmed; no wonder you were accepted into some fancy space-military thing. He was just glad you weren't a Lantern.

But it's like Hawaii, and that's frustrating. His hair's all short and he wears a stupid t-shirt now and you're home from space with your cool ship and your cooler alien friends, and Conner's been left behind and he doesn't know what to do. This isn't Hawaii. But he desperately wished it was.

"Kon, look at me," you said, gently. He doesn't at first, and it tears a note in your voice, "Please."

Conner tries, and it's half like looking at a whole new person and half like seeing a ghost. The night is warm and refreshing. You're out of the armor now, tucked up in an absolutely ancient hoodie that he'd given to you when you'd first left. He doesn't know why he stares at it. It is really hard to look new people in the eye, though.

"S.B," you whispered, and that's a thousand, hundred, bajillion times worse than a yell. It's a little funny, too, "Please."

Conner does look, but he's wrong. It's harder to look a ghost in the eye when a part of you knows that they're still there. Somehow.

He does what he usually does. It's completing, the easy slip of his fingers against your scalp, through your hair, pulling you in as he has always done. You don't dare hesitate to kiss him back. Instead, your fingers fumble around his chest in search of leather lapels that aren't there anymore. So you grab his shoulders. Palm his neck. And that's a thousand, hundred, bajillion times more intimate.

"I'm sorry," you tell each other at the same time as you pull away. The laugh that follows is weak, but at least it's genuine.

"Me first," you claimed. You stop yourself before you start again, taking the little unsure flutters of his hands on your hips and planting them down into place, a silent promise. "I'm sorry I didn't call or visit enough. There was this refugee planet, and this insane guard, but... There's no excuse. I should have... I should have been here."