D.LEAVING THE CITY OF THE DEAD

ALLAN: After a while, I noticed something different about the rocks that were on either side of the river...they weren't formed by nature.

I could tell due to their smoothness and perfect forms, these weren't formed in the bedrock.

It took a while before I noticed one of the huge statues was that of 'Set', the God who is in charge of the dead.

The huge dog-like head scraped the ceiling, I almost couldn't see the head because it was too high. On its ankles and wrists were huge golden and silver cuffs.

We passed by various statues depicting the Egyptian gods in perfect form, they all were in different positions. Some were pointing, others sitting, others seemed to be flexing their muscles.

There were statues of Horus, Isis, Anubis, Amunet and various other gods all in their irrespective postures, they looked both magnificent and imposing.

''They were created by the first of the first of our people'' Hassan said without opening his eyes, ''A tribute to the gods for granting them safe passage into this place. I'm sure your tutors never told you of our history, all you nobles care about nowadays are the magic and weapons used during the Night War forgetting that it is the past that helps our people shape the future''

I glared at the priest and ignored him.

Hassan chuckled, ''You are angry aren't you?'' I didn't reply but stared in wonder as we passed under the two legs of a statue of the god of the air 'Horus'.

''The Gods of Egypt, it is a truly fascinating story, some even say the Queen draws power from them but in all honesty I doubt it, they perished long before I was born'' Hassan said after picking his nose, ''You must be wondering about the source of that power but it is futile, even during the Night War far greater people than you tried to defeat her and they all failed''

I rolled my eyes, he's trying too hard.

''I am truly sorry for you Meroe...it is not easy to be sent away from your home but the Queen's orders are absolute, it is the first law of the city''

I struggled to maintain my composure as I hissed, ''Is that what you priests tell yourselves to justify your actions?''

The priest didn't open his eyes but remained silent for a while, ''We are the Legendary Priests of the Queen, do you know the importance and significance of that position is?''

I didn't respond as he continued, ''You have no idea yet what has been prevented, the dangers that have been averted, we are the sword of this city. The shield of our people, the sworn warriors of...''

I ignored the man's annoying speeches and looked around.

This guy and the Noble Men of Dunes would fit.

The huge statues had this mysterious presence and I wondered how whoever responsible was able to make such fine work given the environment.

Suddenly it was then that my eye caught something on one of the heads of the statues.

I squinted my eyes to confirm what I had seen -I was right, someone was here.

''...Hassan'' I whispered, the priest laughed, ''You want to talk now?'' he said but I held his leg and shook him hard.

''Watch who you play with boy!'' Hassan objected in anger but upon the look on my face, he looked to where I pointed.

Sure enough, he saw them and immediately said ''Arachne!''

I was baffled, "Wait what?"

Why did they follow us?

Just then without a warning, an arrow whizzed by my head, ''Get down!'' pushed me under some baskets and containers put on the boat by the maids as more arrows flew in our direction.