B.CLOSE CALL

ALLAN: They were big, a lot bigger than the Arachne, about the height of a palm tree, I didn't know what exactly the beasts were but they resembled scorpions.

"Hassan!" I yelled as screams and hisses echoed all over.

They were black, their skins were jet black but they had shining dots all over their skin as one struck an Arachne with its huge tail.

The huge stinger went right through the Arachne.

One scream and the silence was all the Arachne had a chance to do.

Green liquid oozed out of the dead Arachne and I watched as the huge beast reared the dead body into the dark and the sound of breaking bones followed.

Several of the Arachne fell victim to the many beasts until only two were left.

''We need to retreat!'' one Arachne yelled but the leader, the one who had a personal grudge with me yelled, ''Do not forget what we came here to do, we are Arachne, we complete every task given to us while we breathe, kill the boy!''

With that, the Arachne fired arrows at me after dodging an attack from the beasts.

I looked around and looked in fear as one of the beasts attempted to attack me but for some reason, the scorpion couldn't cross the river so instead they followed closely on the banks.

They didn't like the water or was there something in the water?

''Hassan!'' I shouted but I still got no reply "Where are you?"

''Do not think that you are safe boy!'' the Arachne shrieked as he followed.

The Arachne leader seemed to be making sure he remained on the heads of the big statues and though it didn't guarantee his safety.

It was less dangerous there and he could tell when any of the beasts would make an attempt.

I glanced around as the huge scorpions shot their poisonous tails at the boat, several missed but a few managed to hit the ship which resulted in dents and cracks –their shots were powerful.

I can't let that hit me!

I ducked again as a huge tail shot forward at the boat. My brain was hard at work looking for a solution, how was I going to survive this?

With all the commotion I hadn't noticed that I was in the rapids. For some reason, the water was flowing dangerously here, as if I was nearing a waterfall.

The waters were vicious as if they wanted to sink me and the scorpions made things worse.

The Arachne shot another arrow, ''You shall die here Meroe, before you accomplish your destiny, you won't be able to see Moonsville!'' the Arachne fired two more lethal arrows.

One just flew past my nose. I ducked low but then I heard a voice, ''Meroe!'' it was the priest!

I looked around but all I could see where the scorpions desperate to reach me as if it was the single most important thing to do.

"I'm here!" I called back as the scorpions, those not chasing the Arachne shot their tails at me.

The Arachne maintained their positions on the heads of the huge statues, almost safe from the beasts till green arrows flew by, they were different from the arrows the Arachne had.

These arrows seemed to glow bright green as they flew through three of the scorpions closest to me and made their way through the other Arachne as if they were being controlled.

The green arrows made a strange sound as they flew, what were they?

The huge scorpions reeled in pain as brown liquid poured out of the newly formed holes and the other Arachne was dead before he hit the ground.