Chapter twelve: part four | June

June 2002
Bayhollow, Ontario

"I don't think you're going to enjoy this game, Ama." Matt pressed play as he spoke.

Controller in hand, I laughed. "I won't like it and I might be terrible but that won't stop me from whooping your butt." I began to button mash as soon as the game started.

Matt laughed and his vehicle took off from the finish line while I reversed and jumped at the starter position. "You were totally right... this game blows."

He stopped playing and turned it all off. "Want to go for a walk?" He offered his hand to me but I gave him the remote and helped myself up from the floor.

"Where to, boogaloo?" I asked as we left the house. We doubled over in laughter at the strange word I had used.

"The park?" He pointed in that direction. "I could sit on the swings for days!"

"Are you kidding me, I would be the happiest person in the world if I could just sit on a swing for life."

He laughed again, he really thought I was funny. "There are a few issues with that idea, Ama. I'll let it slide because you're so pretty."

I hadn't considered Matt as a person who could be more than friends. But the way he talked to me was making me see him in a different light. He wasn't just a friend he was a potential partner and he was giving me every sign that I needed to let myself fall for him.

"Do you want to go to the dance with me this Friday?" I stared at the ground as I spoke, I didn't want to see the possible disgust on his face when I asked.

"Of course I'll go with you!" He jumped from his swing and ran to the playground to climb the monkey bars. "We can hangout at Ruby's after."