Chapter eighteen : part seventeen | December

December 2008
Newbegins, Ontario

Two days later...

"You've never heard of Breaking Benjamin?" Rick's jaw dropped at my admission. He flipped through files on his game system and wound up in YouTube. He searched the band name and pressed play on the only song I had ever heard by them.

I shook my head when he looked at me to gage my reaction. "It's nice. I like to listen to circumstance specific music though." I laughed and put my feet up on his coffee table.

He started to laugh and ran his hand down my arm. "Didn't we almost date?" He gazed lovingly upon my pyjama clad figure and then returned to my eyes.

"Once or twice, remember that time at the beach when I was calling my parents and you undid my top. That wasn't even kinda cool, dude." I rattled off a memory as I always did.

"Yep, I almost got to see the goods." He laughed and put his hand on my shoulder, dragging it down until he wasn't touching me anymore.

I punched his shoulder and threw my weight back into the cushiony couch. "Shut up. Don't make me sound like a prostitute, if I was you would have to pay double for that kind of bullshit talk."

He inched himself closer in a sly way that would have gone unnoticed by most girls. "You would never double charge me." He seemed shocked at my statement.

"Fuck yeah, I would. No one talks shit about me like that. 'Almost saw the good' respect me or pay twice, bitch." I leaned in and he did the same I pulled away from him.

"I've always wanted to be with you, Ama. You can't tell me you've never thought about it."

I thought back to the time I came home to ask my mom a strangely specific question. She was setting the dinner table when I was about fourteen and I rushed to her side. "How would you feel if I dated a guy who has his license and can drive?"

She laughed. "That depends on who he is. We'll have to meet him first."

I had definitely thought about it. But I saw myself as an obedient slave to Damien and even Rick's advances wouldn't change that.