Chapter fourteen: part two | April

April 2004
Bayhollow Catholic high school
Bayhollow, Ontario

The bell rang for lunch time. I was a nervous wreck. I had received a letter from Jessica a few days before saying she would be moving to town soon. The date she gave had passed and I was going to seek her out. She didn't give me an address, just that she would be living on Main Street.

I met up with my cousins Brandy and J, at the smoking section and we ventured into the downtown area.

"Are you nervous?" she asked, as we scaled the back-street hill to the road.

Of course, I was a ball of anxiety that couldn't be untangled with all the medications in the world. "A little." I could never let my friends see me break. I didn't trust anyone and a tear or an admission of fear would undermine my image.

She blew out an exaggerated breath. "Even after all she did to you? I would be pissed."

"It was a long time ago. She's changed. I've changed. I just want to know her." I could see her staring at me from the corner of my eye. "Stop that. You're freaking me out." I swatted playfully at her.

"It just amazes me that you are taking this so well." She shook her head and ran to J's side to steal his smoke.

We made it to main street in a few minutes and got to see the sidewalk sale that was taking place. Each shop front was loaded with different items and nearly spilling into the street. We were crossing the road and I was searching every face to find her.

"Thea," a low voice came from behind me. "Is that you, Thea?"

I didn't respond when I turned around and she continued, "Thea. Thea, is that really you?"

Her partner walked up behind her and put his hands on her shoulders. "No, Jessica. That's Amaris, not your sister." He chuckled at the confusion.

She shook her head. "I'm sorry, you look so much like Thea."

"It's okay, mom."