Chapter eighteen : part four | March

March 2008
Bayhollow, Ontario

The knock at the door, interrupted nothing, aside from Jessica's cartoons, that she played every hour of everyday. Jessica groaned as she stood from her chair. "This better be important, I had just gotten comfy."

"I bet Verla needs money for diapers again." I shouted after her and continued drawing on a piece of printer paper as she approached the door.

The high I was on gave me a need to create and at that time all I had was a blue pen anda single piece of paper. Blue flowers lined the edges for the blank page and I began writing the lyrics to a song I knew by heart in the center.

"No. Patrick she doesn't want to talk to you." Her voice was louder than usual.
"I just need to talk to her, Jess," he argued.

Damien came stomping out of the bedroom we had been sharing. "What the fuck are you doing here?" He ran up to the door.

I stood at the end of the hall and watched the interaction. Jess backed away as Damien arrived. "You shouldn't be here, just go home Patrick. She doesn't want to see you."

Patrick's face flushed and he raised his hand to Damien's throat. He pushed him back against the wall. "Get out of my face, you fucking pissant. You're not worth my time." He releases his grip on Damien and looked into my eyes. " I just want to talk, please Ama."

Damien held his throat and choked his way into the kitchen. I would worry about him later. He deserved the majority of the pain that was inflicted on him, always having the last word is a painful thing when it's said to the wrong person.

I nodded and we closed the door to speak privately in the hallway. "I don't want you to come home with me. I just came to tell you that your parents were looking for you."

"Thank you. I will message my mom. I'm sorry Damien went at you like that." I bowed my head and avoided eye contact.

Patrick laughed. "Don't worry about it. Did you see me pick him up. He better watch who he's mouthing off to."