Chapter fifteen: part sixteen | October

October 2005
Bayhollow, Ontario

The alarm clock rang and I dragged my body out of bed. I dressed casual as always and pulled my hair back into a ponytail. I kept tabs on my mom while she got ready for work. I started walking to my bus stop but took a left turn before the end of the street.

I hid in the bushes while I waited for my mom to go to work. When I saw her car drive away, I dashed to the other side of the street.

I didn't want to go to school. By the time anyone noticed I wasn't there, I would be somewhere else. It wasn't the first time I had done this, but this time I would succeed. I wouldn't be hanging out in a tree fort in my neighbours backyard. I wouldn't be found this time.

I walked downtown and took a path to the PMQ's. I knocked on my friend Anthony's door, not expecting an answer. As I turned to leave, I heard the door creak open.

"Amaris, what are you doing here? Don't you have school today?" His mother questioned me.

"I didn't want to go." I kicked the curb and stared at my feet, readying myself for the trouble that would follow.

She stepped aside and let me in, "I understand, sweetheart." She walked into the kitchen and I went along.

"Would you like some tea?"

I sat at the kitchen table and nodded.

"What's the matter, dear?" She poured two cups of water and bobbed the tea bags around.

"I needed to get away for the day. You know?"

She nodded, "Yep, I understand. Sometimes we need that. It's normal."

We sat and drank tea and talked the day away. I always connected with adults more than children, having been raised without much interaction with children my age.