Chapter fifteen: part eleven | June

June 2005
Bayhollow, Ontario

Annie and Patrick were still dating after a week.

I was still working on who I wanted to be. Was I the girl who stole a person's boyfriend? Or was I the good girl who went home and hid away from her newfound obsession.

Patrick found out from friends that she had been cheating on him with her ex-boyfriend.

I wasn't like Annie. Our friendship stemmed from mutual weirdness. No one else could deal with our wackiness, so we migrated to each other.

Patrick and I only spent a short time together, but I needed to know him more. I had to spend as much time as I could with him. It didn't have to be more than friendship. I just wanted to be near him.

I was gleeful when I found out about her infidelity. I could finally know him, like I had wanted to from the beginning.

Patrick pulled me to the side a few moments before Annie walked through the door. "I want you to be there when I break up with Annie," he whispered.

He pulled me closer to him. I ignored the fact that he was breaking her heart and went along with his plan.

It was late, the sun was long gone. Clouds covered the moon, softening its light.

Patrick asked me to join him as he corralled his cheating, soon to be ex, girlfriend, and Anthony. We sat beside the house in the darkness. The only light was farther down the path and didn't reach the place we were sitting.

"I think you two would be happier together," Patrick said, motioning to Annie and Anthony.

Annie's glare at me made me uncomfortable, but I was so lost in a hormonal trance that nothing made sense.

"But, we're dating?" She replied.

"Not anymore, we aren't," He corrected her.

"Since when?" Her voice raised.

"Since you messed around with your ex. Did you really think I wouldn't find out?"

They were standing now shouting in each others faces. Anthony and I sat back and waited for them to finish.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have been with him, I feel really bad about it, baby. Let me make it up to you." She pressed her chest against him and ran her hand down the back of his neck.

He pushed her away and sat back down on the ground next to me.

She huffed and stomped away.

"I'm going to go see if she is ok," Anthony informed us as he pushed off the ground and ran after her.

"Well, that's done," he said, with a smile of satisfaction on his lips.

"What do you want to do now?" I asked.

"Anything you want to do," he said. He pulled me to my feet. We were inches apart.

His breath danced across my face, and the smell of his cologne intoxicated me.

We walked along the sidewalk to the park and sat on the roundabout that was in the middle. We discovered as much as we could about each other in our short time alone.

He moved in close to me and tucked a piece of hair behind my ear. His fingers traveled down my neck. Goosebumps rose all over my body.

He placed his hand on the back of my neck and pulled my face to his. Our lips touched, and sparks flew, his soft lips pressed against mine. My eyes were closed. My entire body was on fire.

"Wait, I think we should slow down. You did just break up with my best friend." I snapped out of the hormone overload I was experiencing. It was torture to say good night.

I was inches away from what I wanted. I wasn't devious in obtaining my objective. It was a legitimate breakup that I was only involved in to support him. It still ate away at me that she would be upset. However, if not for her poor choices, this wouldn't be a problem.

After the night, they had all I could think about was his hands on my body and our lips together in a passionate kiss. I went home and obsessed about him. I had dated guys that were older than me before, but they had never made me feel the way he did. In his eyes, I felt like I was the only person who mattered. He treated me like I was the only woman he could see.