Catmint5 Presents: 7 Things to Consider When Creating a Fictional World

Hello and welcome to the party!

I'd like to thank Kelly for letting me join and get a chance to know you, and I'd like to thank YOU for checking out my post. I hope it will help you create a wonderful world for your characters. And now, here are...

Writing a book set in our world can have its challenges - you have to research different professions, for example - but when your story takes place in a fictional Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Paranormal setting, those challenges increase

Writing a book set in our world can have its challenges - you have to research different professions, for example - but when your story takes place in a fictional Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Paranormal setting, those challenges increase. Today, I'm going to give you seven things you should think about when creating the exciting new world your story takes place in. Some are more interesting than others, but they are all connected, so I suggest you read through the whole post. We are going to start off with a list of the things, and then I'm going to give you a few pointers on each:

1. Geography

2. Politics

3. Religion

4. Magic System

5. Education

6. Economics

7. Species/Races

So first...

GEOGRAPHY

This one might seem boring, but it's pretty important. After all, a general idea like the princess saving the kidnapped prince would be executed differently depending on the landscape in which the story is set. If it's an ice kingdom, then the princess would have to make sure she has clothing appropriate for the climate and one of the obstacles she'd have to overcome could be sneaking into the cave of a Yeti; on the other hand, if the Prince is held captive in the mountains, the Princess would have to pack up hiking gear and might have to fight off a grizzly bear.

The geography would also affect history. If a town is situated in a valley, it will be more difficult to defend it than if it's on top of a cliff and therefore it would be an easier target for enemy soldiers. Whether there was a battle nearby and whether the town had been overtaken by an enemy at some point would affect how the people in it live.

And let's not forget that it would determine simple things like your character's diet and occupation. For example, if they live near a forest, they would eat rabbits, birds and berries, and if they live by the sea, they would go for fish; in the first case, they could be a hunter, and in the second - a fisherman or sailor.

And here's a little tip for you: draw a map. It will help you immensely because you can reference it any time you need to while working on your story and it will help your readers envision your world if you include the map in your book.

POLITICS

I don't know about you, but I really don't like to get involved in politics. Perhaps your characters would be like me, but like it or not, politics are going to play at least a small role in their lives. Whether your society is a monarchy or a presidency, the leader of the kingdom/county is going to shape that kingdom/country in one way or another.