toohottobetrue2 Presents: From WRITER to SCRIPT WRITER + Summer

1. IMAGE: Slouching on the chair, messy hair, mismatched PJs, and a dreamy look on Aanchal's face. She is staring at her laptop and attempting to communicate to the world beyond the screen.

2. AANCHAL: Hello! This is toohottobetrue2 aka Aanchal Budhiraja and welcome to my post. Today, I'll share my experience on how I began writing scripts!

3. CAPTION: Here we go again...hehe~

         A bit confusing? Well, that's the format of a script

         A bit confusing? Well, that's the format of a script. Or more precisely...a comic script! You might be wondering just how I went from writing books to writing scripts for comic books. It all began last autumn when I got the offer to turn The Demon Babysitter into a comic book from Tapas (comics and novel website).

Now, it wasn't short of a dream come true. I grew up reading manga and manwha (Japanese and Korean comics) and to think that one day my book would become a comic book was a fantasy! (I wasn't even writing back then.) When things fell into place, and I agreed to the offer, I got commissioned to be the scriptwriter of the comic book. It made sense for me to work on it because I knew my story the best. However, as I observed and learned, not many did it, and it was challenging and fun to do it myself.

 However, as I observed and learned, not many did it, and it was challenging and fun to do it myself

Q. Is it hard to write a script of the comic book?

A. The situation was very different for me. I didn't have to start from scratch and write a new story. But that meant I had to stick to the book and turn it into something visual. Now, how do you convert ten lengthy paragraphs with no dialogues or descriptions into an image? That was the toughest part of the job. To convey feelings and subtle behaviour and still make it concrete. I had to brainstorm, conjure new dialogues, and summarise multiple scenes into one panel (i.e. one image, conversation or caption). And unlike the book, I had a limit to how much I could show in one episode.

Q. What was the most exciting part about script-writing?

A. It gave me a chance to explore other character's mind when they were not given proper credit in the book. I wasn't focusing on a keyhole and looking at a single character anymore. But rather I had the floor to recreate some of my favorite moments into something better and much more enjoyable for readers. And I definitely added more romance!