Chapter 31

Song for the chapter: Let Me In by GroupLove

I wait patiently for Harry to answer his door but after many unsuccessful attempts I get back in my car and think of any other place he could be. 

Just as I am about to pull out of his driveway and continue my search Harry's car parks on the side of the street.

I take a deep breath and get out of my car.

He leans against the passanger door of his car and stares blankly at me as I walk over to stand in front of him.

We stare at eachother in silence, neither one of us making any advance to talk. 

I gulp at the coldness behind his eyes, the familiar warmness distinguished and replaced to bitter cold and it's all because of me.

"I'm sorry." I blurt out hoping his expression will change.

He remains still and moves his gaze to look away from me and at the front of his house.

"Why?" he says simpily.

"Why what?" I ask a little confused at what he could be referring to,

"Why are you sorry." he speaks softly and refuses to look me in the eye just yet.

"I'm sorry that I left without an explanation and closing you off again." I sigh looking down at my feet before looking up to catch his eyes pouring into my own.

"I thought we made progress last night and then you tell me that we should forget it happened? Charlie you told me things about yourself last night, things you wouldn't tell anyone without trusting them. So if you trust me why did you leave?" He says and I can just hear the hurt behind his voice.

I try to come up with a good excuse but it's no use.

"I'm constantly fighting with my head everyday to protect myself. I thought leaving would be the only way to protect myself and I just got scared. I let people in and when I realize I can trust them I leave because I don't want to get hurt again. I know it doesn't make sense but I just can't help it." I sigh and let a tear slip. I look down at my feet to cover up the fact that I'm crying but Harry already knows and has already placed his sweet hand on my cheek.

"I told you last night that I would never hurt you and I meant it Charlie." His eyes are starting to get warmer with each stroke to my cheek. 

"I know." 

"Then why can't you believe me?" 

"I don't know." I answer honestly.

"Can you believe me now?" He looks into my eyes once again but this time with the most sincere expression. Of course I'm going to believe him.

"Yes. That's why I'm here so I can give you a chance considering I always run out before you have a chance to say anything." I joke lightly in an attempt to lighten the mood.

"Ah yes." He smiles for the first time since I've seen him and I can't help but smile at the sight of him.

"I'm sorry, again. Can we go do something?" I suggest.

"Depends are you going to leave halfway through?" He jokes and I smile at his mood change. I like seeing him in such a playful manner it really makes me smile.

"Ha ha very funny. No I won't leave so let's do something!" I say excitedly. 

"C'mon I know the perfect place." He takes my hand and leads me to his car where we enter on our appropriate sides and drive away from his house.

The drive was short and consisted of Harry clickling through radio stations and groaning at all the commercials that were on.

I loved the way he bumped his knee up and down impatently at a red light and how frustrated he would get at terrible drivers. I can't even deny that he looked pretty damn good in his aviator glasses.