Snow angels

Christmas movies always sent me into the best place. They filled my heart with the cheesiest delight. It was sickening how a Christmas story could make someone feel so happy. Maybe I secretly wanted to escape into all that was Christmas.

Each movie I watched since I was a kid was the greatest memory of all. They were perfect and flawless and let you escape into what it all meant. I loved the movies about the holiday more than the holiday; it was the one thing that felt magical and as silly as that sounded to say as an adult I wasn't embarrassed. I secretly wished it was all true, each Christmas tale.

Sure, the presents and decorations were equally amazing, and I looked forward to everyone's attempts at finding the perfect gift to finally please their loved one. But the next year it was the same battle all over again.

The other part of Christmas that made it a little less glorious was all the people that you couldn't spend the holiday with. I missed Vanessa during all the holidays, each holiday we always found our way to the woods to hide from our crazy families. We would sit out in the woods for hours' laughing at so and so's sweater or bad cooking. How no one knew where we were. Sometimes we would bring our most ridiculous gift and joke about how much we liked it.

I missed Marcus and how he was the one person who always stuck by me during the holidays, and when the house was full of all the relatives, he never let me feel awkward or alone. Wherever he went, I was with him and he wasn't bothered by it. Marcus always gave me a gift, no one ever knew what it was or when he got it, but he always had a little something special. I cherished them all; it was nothing to flashy or expensive, Maybe a rock when I was younger or a cd he favored when I was a little older. He was always happy and extra thoughtful during the holidays and he kept us all smiling during the stressful moments, and that was how they all seemed to turn out all right. After he was gone there was no more of that it was more robotic with the family after that. No one cared to make a new tradition or make the most of it.

Evan crept up behind me as I stared out the window at the men setting up the Christmas lights across the street thinking how they were a little late. He rested his chin on my shoulder squeezing me to tight. I sighed trying to remain patient with him. Even he was full of Christmas spirit.

"I got something for you." He said kissing my cheek.

"It's Christmas Eve not quite there yet." I said trying to act like an adult. I knew whatever it was would be awesome.

"Well it's almost here so I hope it's not an issue." He said looking at his watch; curiosity really biting me at this point. He walked off cell phone to his ear a big grin on his face. He knew he reeled me in, I surveyed the house at all the decorations that were already up thanks to the hired help, touching mistletoe dangling above my head. The decorations were more beautiful than even the decorations you seen in the mall.

There was a rapping on the door sending me back into reality; I opened startled to be staring at Kenny, Ari, Journey and Mark. They were all dressed in their finest holding gifts and food, even a couple bottles of fancy wine. Kenny gave me a look, before heading in. Ari snubbed me making her way past as well. Journey graciously hugged me as sweet as ever. I smiled trying to seem happy to see at least her. It had been a long time since I had seen Mark; I wasn't sure how he felt about all that had gone down.

Evan greeted everyone welcoming them into the living room to make their selves at home. I stayed in the kitchen watching everyone try to seem civil and in the holiday spirit. No one was fooling me I thought to myself picking up one of the gingerbread cookies that lay so nicely across the counter on a beautiful silver platter. I bit off the head chewing bitterly.