Bricks

Pulling up to, the home of the most evil man that ever existed made me tense and nervous. A dozen thoughts going on at once, I knew one thing and that was I was not going in that house ever again.

Evan opened his door turning to look at me before he hopped out.

"What are you going to do?" He asked me his mood calm and tranquil. I wasn't sure how anyone could be calm going into a situation like the one he was facing.

"I'm just going to sit here; I refuse to see that man." I said pursing my lips not caring about anything anyone had to say at this point. Ari was already out of the car in a flash. She in no way wanted to be near me, I didn't blame her. Something had come over me that was so dark and ugly I didn't care to be around myself, either. The more I thought about it the more I thought I was wrong. Even though it felt so good to be wrong, I knew it was unnatural.

Kenny leaned in the car as if he had a reason to be speaking to me again.

"What Kenny?" I asked not amused by his grin.

"This is going to be a moment, you sure you want to miss it?" I smacked his face enraged at the thought of it.

"Come on Eve, it will be worth it." He said gripping my wrist tightly, staring at me with eyes full of excitement.

"Leave me alone Kenny, I don't want to see him." I said pulling my hand free. Kenny shook his head heading off. He turned coming back I sighed starting to understand what Ari meant.

"I'll be back." He said staring me down for a reaction.

"Uh ok." I said noticing everyone was already inside. "Kenny what are you doing?"

"What do you mean what am I doing?" He asked confused.

"This thing I don't know what it is but it's just weird." I said shaking my head as I looked at him.

"I don't get what you're saying, I just wanted you to know that we will be back, nothing is going to happen in there." He said sounding a little shook.

"Ok, I'll see you when your back then." I said lying down in the back seat; I curled up in a ball trying to let it all escape me and to clear my head and think about nothing. But nothing quickly turned into sleep a calm healing sleep the kind I remember when I was a kid napping in a car, there was something about a car that made me feel safe and just relaxed.

The relaxation ended faster than I could imagine a loud rapping on the window startled me awake. I sat up disoriented half asleep and warm. My fingers cramped from resting under my head, my hair sticking to my face from the heat in the car. I focused my eyes on Evan and Kenny; they both stood still staring at me as if I were some rabid animal awakening from hibernation.

Evan tapped on the window again trying to get draw me to come out.

"What?" I asked crossing my arms. If they were even thinking about luring me out of the car, they were sadly mistaken.

"Roll down the window at least." He said his face looking rather annoyed and the two of them looked super hurried.

"What?" I asked as the cool air came flowing through my hair as I stared out at the two of them. I looked at Evan's face feeling a bit lost on how distant he had become toward me. He was almost not the same to me.

"Carlo is willing to make a deal." He started letting out a sigh as I still stayed in the car. I didn't even want to set one single toe on his property.