Soul

This was day three that Evan was nowhere to be found, my heart ached a little more. I still felt depressed and bitter. I didn't know what he was thinking, I was left with his brutal honesty or whatever it was, he was calling it.

Sitting on the porch steps, I thought how nice it would be to just be in bed sleeping past all the stress and angst. I could really see how stress could kill you, and I was sure I would have keeled over by now if it weren't for knowing the truth that stress was no killer.

"When you're thinking it shows all over your face." I turned startled seeing Dedric approaching. He held onto the railing as he watched me intently.

"Hi." I said taking in every bit of him, I almost wanted to reach out and touch him. It still felt so dream like.

"Hi, you still seem so shocked when you look at me." He said sitting down.

"If you saw my brother you would understand." I jumped up running inside to grab my purse.

"This is him?" Dedric asked holding the picture in his hands. He stared for a long moment.

"Yeah that's him. His name was Marcus."

I took the picture back keeping my eyes on him.

"So tell me how you ended up here." He asked.

"You don't see it, the resemblance?" I asked.

"Yes I do, everyone is like someone don't they say?" He grinned a little calmly.

"I met a boy and it turned out he was a little different, and he turned into the most amazing part of my life that's why I'm here." It was easy to talk to Dedric.

"How does it feel to be in love with something so dark?"

What was he asking me, was simple it felt amazing. It was like any other love blind.

"It feels right; no matter how wrong it feels right." I nodded at him.

"How is it right, when you are who you are?" He asked me staring into my eyes. I stopped breathing for an instance almost feeling see through.

"That's the thing I don't know what any of that even means."

Dedric seemed to ponder what it was he was trying to say next. We sat in silence for several minutes. I knew to wait because everything about him told me he knew a lot, and that we had much in common.

"You're a lot like myself, have you ever spun a coin and waited to see what side it would end up on?" He asked.

"Yeah."

"Ur like a gamble you can be whatever it is you want to be, sort of a key to just so much that is wrong in this life. Some say it's abnormal I call it a remedy or cure to just about anything."

I bit my lip thinking about this. "Does this make me human still?"

"Were all human just some are better than others. I like to call myself the bodyguard for all the darkness. I was so unsure of what I wanted to do in the beginning. And then I just did what felt right."

"Do you think that I am the same way?" I asked starting to feel like as if I was seeing things more clearly.

"I think so, it's all so right when I look at you. What you have they all want. You're valuable to each and every one of them." He touched my hand. "Who you are causes a lot of selfish evil behavior."

I swallowed hard understanding more then I wanted.

"What does this even mean, what can any of this do for me or anyone?"

"Anything is possible, but you need to know and keep in mind that there is a wrong side and you don't want to fall on the wrong one." He said standing up. I jumped up myself motioning him to wait with my hand.

"Will you please just tell me one thing?" I asked nearly begging.

"What is it you want to know?" He said interested.

"I know I sound crazy, but the thought of seeing Marcus again and passing the chance up I couldn't live with myself you're not my brother are you?" I held my breath as Dedric looked away.

"Maybe somewhere I want to believe that and maybe somewhere inside I feel it but I'm nothing more than Dedric. Bye Eve." He said walking back down the steps. I had a strange feeling I would probably never see him again.

I wasn't sure what that discussion meant, it was unclear still to me, it probably would never make sense. I knew I was more than I could imagine and that I held a key to something. Falling on one side or another who was to say what was evil?

I knew what my take on evil was and that was Carlo, and I knew I wanted nothing to do with him.