Tainted

There was a loud rapping on the door, vibrating the whole room. I rose from my sleep very quickly. Evan didn't move,  clearly the loud pounding did not disturb his beauty sleep I thought rolling out of bed and making my way to the door.

"Who is it?" I asked in a rather irritated tone.

"Kenny who else would it be?" Kenny called from the other side. "What you think they have housekeeping in this dump?" He said shaking his head at me in amusement.

"Well there is Ari, that's another person I wouldn't mind seeing besides your face all the time." I said with a sly smile. Kenny gripped his chest as if I had stabbed his heart.

"I'm so heartbroken; I mean according to some last night I was trying to put the moves on you." He said looking in Evan's direction. "I guess none of my moves worked on you huh?"

I stood brushing my hair out as Kenny went on and on about Evan's overreacting taking it all in not saying much of anything. It was amusing, I just wasn't in the mood to play along.

"He's losing it." He said as we both stared at him, Evan's eyes popped open to both of our surprises, and he didn't look happy to see either one of us.

"What are you doing here?" He asked grumpy.

"We are ready to head out, wanted to give you guys the heads up, about an hour." Kenny said nodding.

"Alright." Evan said standing up in his boxers doing a lazy stretch with a big yawn.

"Alright." Kenny said looking at me trying to hide his grin, which to me he was playing with fire.

"Goodbye Kenny." I said sternly trying to hold my expression straight.

Kenny backed up to the door keeping his eyes on the two of us. I stood still clutching my brush waiting for him to just leave before he really agitated Evan.

As the door shut, I went on my way gathering my clothes together on the bed. It was clear we were heading out again. This was something I wasn't sure would ever stop. I was very much in the dark as to what the plan was.

"Well I think I have all of my stuff packed." I said folding up the last pair of jeans and zipping my duffel bag. Evan barely seemed to notice I was speaking as he stared off.

"I never accused you of doing anything with my brother you know." He said looking out the window.

"I would hope not, it seemed like you were upset last night, all he was doing was comforting me." I said.

"I know what he was doing. It's not his job to be doing that, it makes me feel like I uh I don't know may be the cause and that is why you seek out someone else." He shrugged looking at me for denial.

"It's all overwhelming Evan, but it was harmless on both our parts, and I know you know that." I said taking his hand.

"Why do you think I know that?" he asked raising his eyebrows. I kissed his lips taking hold of his face in my hands.

"Because you're better looking." I said with a big grin.

"I should smack you." He said easing up.

"You should smack yourself, to think anything other than I love you is just stupid and deserves a slap. I only have eyes for you and as pathetic as that sounds to me, it's true. But I wouldn't have it any other way."

"Can I say something?" He asked catching me by surprise.

"Of course you can." I said sitting down, the mood seemed to shift back to serious, making my stomach ache.

"I think you're special." He said looking at me.

"Um ok thanks. I think you're special too." I said laughing a little.

"No I mean like as special as me or Kenny or Mark."

"Well I think you're crazy." I said ignoring his look this time.

What to anyone was special? That didn't make much sense, what did make sense what the thought of Evan thinking I was more than just a human. I didn't want to think about anything like that. It is a scary thought to think about and it wasn't something I liked to dive into, I knew that there was something lurking around us. I just did not know what to call it, something was keeping us safe. I thought that was the luck of the draw.

"It's not crazy there are all kinds of people in this world. You never think some people may hold extraordinary powers or abilities?" He asked looking at me with a look of wisdom.

"Those aren't things we are taught to think about, magic is for the stage my mom would always say." I said shrugging, trying to push my thoughts back to the darkest part of my mind.

"You're more than just a beautiful witty stubborn girl and I know that and I think you do to, you just don't want to admit it. That's part of the reason you drew me to you so well." I scrunched up my nose feeling horribly embarrassed and out of place, giving Evan a quick glance before I looked down.

"Uh I don't know." Was all I could say.

"That doesn't mean you're a freak of nature, it could be a gift that you need to appreciate, why not look at it that way?" He asked running his fingers across my hands.

"I'm human." I said still not looking up.

"Were all human, some humans are just far better than others. Doesn't matter what family you come from its all about choice and who is chosen. "He placed his hand on my shoulder. "That's what I think anyways, it doesn't mean you have to try and be anything more then what you are."

"What do you do with that; I mean you were taught to be who you are for practically your whole life. What if you're right and I am like you what does that even mean for me?" I said looking up at Evan; this was the part that scared me to the core. How could anyone come to terms after nineteen years of life that he or she was not really that simple and normal? How could anyone be all right with knowing they held some sort of powerful quality, and they didn't even know what or how to use it? Maybe it wasn't something they could use or would even want to.

"It means a lot. But stop getting freaked out over it; I think your wise enough to figure it all out." He said standing up and packing our stuff up.

"What do I do?" I asked curious.

"Maybe you can shoot lightning bolts from your fingers." He said eyes wide breaking out in a fit of laughter. I hurled the pillows at him not amused.

"I always seem to amuse you, and at the times when it shouldn't be amusing." I said rolling my eyes.

"It may be subconscious it may be nothing more than just you."

"Me?" I asked dumbfounded.

"Maybe I don't know maybe you're evil or good. Would you wear a cape?" He asked laughing it up again.

I sighed heading outside to Ari and Kenny who were already piling stuff in the trunk to head out. Evan kissed my cheek not thinking it was any sort of big deal.

That made sense he was a young man who could stop a beating heart in a blink of an eye if he wanted. He could bring a whole Ferris wheel to its knees. So why to someone like that is it strange to think there girlfriend could be just as powerful as they were?

I stared at Evan as he talked to Kenny wondering if I would have never even knew this without him, was it something he brought out of me? Would I have died never knowing? I hoped that in the least it was something cool that was a little amusing. Not something, that would bring more complication to us all.