Answer

I slowly grew tired as we crossed the states heading into Maryland. I had never been to Maryland and wasn't sure what to expect. I rested my head against Evan's arm listening to him and Kenny chat it up as Ari and I tried to rest.

"I still can't get over you shooting him; I never would have thought you had it in you." Kenny said. I steadied my eyes trying to avoid giving away I wasn't really sleeping to listen.

"I'm not proud of myself Kenny, he's our Dad. But when he was going on his rant about her I knew he lost, he knew he lost. So it felt like the right thing to do."

"I would have done the same thing." Kenny ensured him.

Evan ran his hand down my arm repeatedly as the conversation continued, I wasn't sure if it were a nervous thing or he wanted to comfort me. Maybe he felt like I was still traumatized. Little did he know all I needed was him and I was all right again.

"I didn't see it in the beginning when I brought her to meet him, but it slowly started to make sense. I just didn't pick up on it at the time. He knew as well as I did there was something about her. Only difference was I was ok with accepting it." I tried to keep my breathing calm and not seemed bothered, but inside I was bothered. All this talk about there being something special about me was really giving my brain whiplash. I so badly wanted to pop up and demand more of an explanation.

"I seen signs, he told me a few times he didn't agree anymore with Eve and you being together. I thought maybe it was just him being a Dad but it all made sense once she snuck away to Carlo's and sent him off the deep end." Kenny said with a short laugh.

"I know." Evan said moving a bit.

"I don't know what she thought she was proving but she was right where he wanted her, and that's something you need to discuss with her. She needs to learn how to restrain herself." Kenny told Evan rather rudely.

"Yeah, if she didn't do that she wouldn't be Eve."

"If she keeps it up she's going to have other reasons she's not Eve anymore, besides Carlo." Kenny said dryly.

"It's hard to get that point across to her, to anyone." Evan said touching my head.

I opened my eyes slightly to see what was going on, Kenny lifted a bottle giving it a rattle it was Ari's pills. I shot up making the two of them jump, and gave Evan the evilest look I could muster.

"No, no no don't you look at me that's all him." He said pointing at Kenny.

"I was joking, easy there crazy." Kenny said shaking his head.

"I am not even going to say anything to either one of you." I said crossing my arms. Evan fixed my wild mess of hair.

"We're sorry, really we are. Right Kenny?" Evan said glancing at the back of Kenny's head.

"Right." Kenny said back.

I rolled my eyes as Evan ran his hand down my arm.

"Maybe Ari is ok with self-medication, but you will not medicate me to keep me from going off the deep end, is that how you would put it Kenny?" I said trying to burn a hole in the back of Kenny's head with my stare.

"I thought you weren't going to say anything?" Kenny said pulling into a rest stop.

"Come on let's get something to eat." Evan said taking my hand and forcing me out of the car. I think he was fearful I was going to sock Kenny a good one.

"I'm fine; I just don't take kindly to drugs." I said holding tight to Evan's hand as we entered the gas station. Several people stood around, a woman in her forties holding two sodas gave me a strange look. I sighed realizing that I looked like hell warmed over.

"You look fine." Evan whispered to me taking a bag of chips as I followed close behind him.

"I look like I was beaten by a bunch of thugs." I said back harshly.

"Get something to eat, you need to eat." He ordered me. I put my hands on my hips surveying the rack grabbing some pretzels giving him a fake smile.

Kenny came up behind me in a rush acting as if I wasn't there grabbing a couple bags of chips. I groaned moving past the two of them, looking out into the parking lot at Ari still past out in her seat.

"Are you sure she's not dead?" I asked raising an eyebrow at them.

"She's not dead spaz." Kenny said pushing my arm.

"I don't know, that's the road many pill poppers find their self on eventually." I said turning my head to the side to enjoy my little game. Kenny seemed irritated as I expected.

"That's not a nice thing to say about someone Eve." He said his face alarmed.

"You guys let's get moving." Evan said breaking into the middle of us; he snatched my bag of pretzels and water heading to the counter. I laughed to myself coming up to stand behind Evan as he paid for the large pile of junk food.

"It's like a skill of yours isn't it?" Kenny asked me as we both waited.

"What is?" I asked innocently.

"Sarcasm, poking people's buttons you name it you do it." He said staring at me for some sort of answer.

"If you don't have anything nice to say, say the first idiotic thing that comes out of your head." I said winking at him.

With that, I gave a small wave heading out the doors with Evan. I leaned against the black car letting the air hit me and cool my skin. Who knew when the next stop would be? We were like a bunch of homeless orphans or something I thought to myself. It was sort of thrilling not knowing where you were heading just taking off out into the sunset to meet whatever fate was out there waiting.