21 - that who punches, loves (part 3)

A/N: First of all, I have a bunch of people to thank again (sorry in advance in case I forget someone or if I've written your ursername incorrectly): sad-witch, aixaloveecultchildCuteFlooffandomtrash0-8-4nuggertlobstersarekindbrisdedimjustreallygay67TaylorSummer , The_Clawed_OneAgridolce27 (especially you because bless you for all the many comments which I haven't replied to yet)- some of you only voted, some of you voted AND commented, some of you read Blue Howard and not this story - I am very honored and thankful for your time.

To the rest of you who have followed and keep following this journey - THANK YOU! lots of love, xo. And of course, always let me know if you like it or not. Any feedback is great! 

Happy reading x)

(also, when did the ads get here? i re-read some of the chapters on the app and then ads popped up. i was under the impression there were ads only on the stories where the authors got paid - has something changed? feel free to educate me on this bc i'm too lazy to figure it out myself :D )

Chapter 21 – the one who punches loves (part 3)

Devon

A lot of people stare.

I roll my eyes at them, leaning against the locker and tapping my fingers against a textbook.

As if they haven't seen a bruised boy before. And I'm not even the worst state. Take Finn for example – the skinny kid with rubber bands around his wrists, those dark half-moons under his eyes from lack of sleep. Not that he deserves to be stared at. But all those puppy dog looks these folks are giving me, should be directed at him. But cute eyes don't fix things, unless you're an actual dog, in which case they could fix a lot.

If someone really cared, they'd go up to Finn and ask him how his day was. Instead they ask him if he has done his homework and then ask to borrow it for a moment. They copy it ruthlessly.

And I'm not the person who could help either. A lot has changed since certain events.

"Oh my god, what happened?" Charlotte flicks her luscious brown curls over her shoulder. Her friends stop in their tracks and their mouths hang open funnily, left like that mid-sentence.

"Who did you run into?" she asks, getting a better look at the blossoming bruise on my cheek. It looks kind of good with my complexion. On a white kid it would seem like spilled blue ink.

"Tried to run away from my past but it caught up," I say and laugh.

Charlotte frowns, then laughs with me.

"Bad boys need an outlet," I say, turning away from her. "Schools don't provide it."

"We have wrestling," she says. "Football. You could probably start a rugby club if you wanted to. Maybe even boxing."

I shake my head. "A riot club."

"A riot club?" she raises her eyebrow. "So, not just a bad boy but an actual felon or something?"