17 - goodness gracious, ugh

A/N: I'm so sorry it's been such a while, but I've been really-really busy. This semester is just full on crazy. So sorry. And in my spare time I've been too tired to write anything. Full permission for you to be mad at me. 

chapter 17 – goodness gracious, ugh

Greg wants to talk. Heather wants to talk. Jason won't stop bugging me about who beat me up. I told him no one beat me up. I did it to myself.

And in a sense I did do it to myself. I could've fought back, but I thought to be the bigger person like Heather always wants me to be. Step down, back away, walk in a different direction. I mean I could barely walk. In fact I didn't. I was lifted up from the ground. I don't even remember the drive to hospital.

Am I the bigger person now, Heather? Is that what good people do? Get beat up, huh? Because 'violence isn't the answer' and all that shit? Because 'you should be sensible and it's sensible to just walk away'?

But it's a step in the right direction. You're recovering. That's what she would say. Something like that.

"It's about honour, man," Jason says, holding his right hand over his heart. "I'd do anything for you. I'll hunt that dude down like a hound."

I pat his hair and try to smooth it. "You should get a haircut."

He ducks away and hisses. "Have some respect!"

Nolan chuckles in the corner, flipping a comic book he found in Greg's office.

They're letting me out from the hospital. I don't plan on telling Sam. She'd freak out and in her weird state-of-mind she might think to seduce Marcus and steal all his money, but that'd be stupid. It'll be a secret.

"Are you leaving us?" Caleb asks unevenly, wiping his nose with the back of his hand. He's not crying, just a little sad. He probably caught the drama-virus from me. Now he's an overly dramatic lover boy.

"Not voluntarily. Never," I shake my head. "Heather's the man. What she says, goes."

"She sucks," Caleb exhales and walks over to Nolan. They both look at the pictures. I pull on my sweater. Apparently Nolan snatched it from the nurse and got it washed somewhere nearby. Greg was a little angry about it. That Nolan left the building without telling anyone. But eventually he got over it. After all, Nolan is an adult and he doesn't need anyone's permission. Besides, he came to anger management because he wanted to, no one forced him like Heather forced me.

"Yeah well, what can you do."

Jason puts his hands in his pockets and turns on his heel. "Can we go now? It's getting a bit depressing."

I nod. "Run along. I'll catch up with you."

Ben decided to keep an eye on everyone else along with Mary, the house owner. He spoke on the phone with Nolan, told that Mary was baking something for me and what happened was horrible. He also said that eventually he'd find out who did it and whether or not it was Mickey. I kept my mouth shut. I didn't even tell him to forget about it. Perhaps I should have.

We fit into Greg's car. Jason's sitting in the front and changing channels.

"I talked to Heather," Greg says as we pull out of the parking lot. I look at him in the rear view mirror. "We still have to convince her about some things."

"Eventually she'll have to understand, right?" I try to joke.

Nolan glances at me. "We all want you to stay," he says.