11 - AFTER the losses and the bruises

A/N: Here it goes again. New chapter. 

I hope you like it. It's not nearly as long as the last one. Also, small announcement, but I've decided to post a short story of Eileen and Marcus (as a separate book). I don't know when I'll post, but I really want to write it. Of course, if you don't want to read it, then that's fine. 

Happy reading x) [ps. votes and comments, because I live for that shit]

Chapter 11 - AFTER the losses and the bruises

Her body is on fire from pain and adrenaline.

She knows that Marcus thinks he's going to lose. Which is exactly why she can't let it happen. She has to keep him guessing to wrap him around her finger.

Another dodge and a blow. And a punch and a kick and she throws her head back to laugh. She licks her lips and tastes iron.

Marcus hits her and she sways back, but remains on her feet. "I bet I'm attractive, but you don't have to hit on me." She chuckles to herself while wiping blood from her lips.

The confusion that flashes in his eyes fuels her even more. She won't win this fight, but she'll win so much more. Information. She'll learn all about his weak spots.

"That's my girl!" yells Nolan from the sidelines. Eileen doesn't dare look in his direction, keeping her eyes on her opponent instead. But warmth spreads from her mind and heart all over her being.

Marcus raises his eyebrow. "She hasn't been your girl for a while," he cuts in.

Eileen rolls her eyes. "I'm my own girl. I belong to no one." And then she lunges, doesn't duck when it's clear that Marcus is going to punch her again, but just lets him land the blow. She savours it and tastes the dizziness, when she falls back and hits her head against the ground.

"Oh, fuck!" Marcus curses and drops to his knees next to her. "Please wake up," he adds quieter. He brushes her hair away and gently pats on her cheek. Without a second thought, Marcus lifts Eileen up, her head lolling only to come to rest against his chest.

And just like that I'm holding the car keys and waving my hand in the air. "I'll go get the car!" I yell and start running. I get a brief glance at Nolan, his lips pressed tightly together. And even though I'm furious with both Eileen and Nolan, they knew what they signed up for. No one's to blame. Not even Marcus, but I blame him anyway.

The crowd has parted around them and Marcus walks out the ring and toward me as I stop the car near them. I rush out to open the door for them and watch him as he sets Eileen in the backseat and climbs in after her. "I'll stay with her," he explains in his raspy voice.

Now this ugly boy is looking even uglier with his beat-up face and bloodstains. But he doesn't look more dangerous. The cool calm he usually has is gone. And that's what makes him appear civil.

This is exactly how Marcus manages to trick everybody into believing he's somebody he's not.

I try to figure out where the hospital might, but already Marcus is giving me instructions. He has his arm around Eileen, but it seems like he's frozen in place, or maybe too scared to move, thinking he might do even more damage if he moves.

Finally we find the hospital and I pull the car to a stop. Marcus is already lifting Eileen out the car. I round the car. "Can you take her?" he asks.

I frown at him. "What do you mean? We have to get her inside."

He swallows. His eyes drop down to her unconscious face, and then he looks at me again. "I can't," he says. "Promise me you will lie to her? That I never helped. That I just walked away and never looked back."