Drowning

Trumpet sounds had announced that the next phase of the games were getting underway soon, and an announcer's voice encouraged viewers to find their way to their seats.

As the leader of Noon Mool and his arm candy walked down the crowded pit area, suddenly a cloud of emerald green smoke wafted in their direction.

Joon pushed Shae hard, out of the path of the green fog. The unexpected shove made Shae almost stumble to the ground in her heels, but she managed to grasp the edge of a nearby table to help her find her balance before that happened. Meanwhile, Joon tried to bury his mouth in his suit jacket sleeve as the fog passed over him.

"What the...?" Shae looked over to Joon. The emerald mist had just passed over him completely. He sneezed.

Whenever he looked around to see where the mist had come from, there was no one there.

"You alright?" Joon asked urgently. "Did you breathe it in?"

"No, I don't think so. Why?"

Joon debated a moment telling her or not. It didn't take him long to decide what to say, though.

He leaned into her ear and whispered playfully, "It's a secret."

"Oh?" Well isn't he awfully pleased all of a sudden?

Joon reached over and pulled her hand into his with surprising force.

Shae asked nervously, "Should we hurry on to Petra's box then?"

Shae thought of that awful woman and shook her head, her lips and nose curled as if tasting something sour. She wanted to be as far away from that horrible woman as possible, but she also didn't want to stir up any more trouble that day than if she could help it. It would look too suspicious...and a getaway that day with Lilith's aide was still very much the plan, from where Shae stood.

"No." Joon's words tumbled out in a low voice, "I want you all to myself."

Shae swallowed. "Joon?"

He reached gingerly for Shae's wrists in the shadow of an awning and stepped into her. There breathes cascaded quietly off of each other in the midst of the raucous crowds. After a moment, Shae realized that Joon was sliding her black communicator band from her wrist. Then, he was sliding his own off, and flickering something into the surface of each of them before shoving them into his pocket.

"I'd rather not have Jin in our heads for a minute," Joon said in a low voice. One of his fingers traced gently against her cheek, then started threading through the ends of Shae's hair.

There was a sudden rush of drunken laughter, and a handful of men tumbled over each other in Joon and Shae's direction. Joon pulled Shae into his chest and turned towards the side of the building next to them to shield her from the passing bombast.

When his eyes saw what the small structure in front of him was, he was struck with an idea.

It was a storage shed of sorts, used for housing a range of cleaning supplies, old uniforms, sports equipment, and other hodgepodge items.

His face flickered into an impish grin as he pulled a very confused Shae by the hand through the half-open barn-style door. She laughed at his silly expression, not really comprehending the moment fully.

Pure amusement, Shae asked, "What are you doing, Joon? We have to get going."

She let herself be led into the barn styled space nonetheless.

Once they were just inside, hidden in shadow, Kim Namjoon let go of Shae's wrist. His hands had other plans.

"I said."