Unraveling

"HOLY MARY MOTHER OF CHRIST WHAT THE HECK JUST HAPPENED JIN?"

Silence.

"Jin?"

Sniffling.

"Oh god, Jin, are you crying?"

Ava was holding her arms tightly around herself, confused about the scenes they'd just watch unfold.

But at the pitiful look on Jin's very red face, Ava lost the bite in her voice. And her voice.

Jin folded himself forward and heaved a toad-like sob.

Ava, not one for physical contact, gave a pitiful pat to Jin's shoulder. "There there," she said uncertainly.

After a few more sobs of various volumes, Jin sniffled himself into a red-faced lull.

"You don't get it, do you?" he asked in breaking tones.

"Get what?"

"Tae is...."

Ava hated the feeling that suddenly sank into her stomach. She hated the look on Jin's face, the sound of his voice, his tears.

But most of all, she hated Jung Hoseok.

As recognition took hold, Ava crawled to her feet in a daze, found a bin near to the doorway, and threw up.

____

Lilith wandered into a dingy room where Min Yoongi sat at a portable computer with a sugar stick in his mouth and his shoulders hunched forward in concentration. She had changed from her black dress to her strappy black combat gear and she had a bloodless, blank look on her face.

Lilith wasn't sure what to say, where to start.

Yoongi pretended like he hadn't noticed Lilith's entrance.

"Suga-nim, I...."

He asked flatly, "Did you finish mending Hobi up with that medi-pen after his fight?"

"Yes. He should be ready for round two," she said in a quiet voice.

"And Chimin's ready for our great getaway?"

Lilith nodded. "I think he will be when it's time. He's already plotted the best escape course, at least. He left me some hand grenades in case we need to block our exits."

Yoongi's voice was rough, relatively normal. "Alright. Well sit tight, because our final magic trick is ready to fire."

"You mean you broke the codes?!" Lilith's voice rose a few octaves.

"I mean. This arena was built before my great-great-great grandparents were even an inkling in someone's mind, thank you very much. These anti-magi-codes are some serious shit." Yoongi sent a self-satisfied look over the top of his laptop. "So yeah. Of course I broke the codes. This bitch is ready to blow."

"It's weird to think that they're what have kept the games fair for the fighters for so many years...and you're about to render them useless."

"Yeah, but what's fun about fair?" Yoongi sent a deadly smirk over his computer screen in Lilith's direction. "Especially when the end goal is a bit of healthy anarchy."

____

"Joonie, where do you think you're going?"

Kim Namjoon looked like he was prepared to sprout wings and launch himself from that balcony seat as he gripped the hand railings that he'd been leaning over just as the final blow had landed.