The Doctor Will See You Now

Joon hurried through a maze of corridors with vaulted white ceilings and lush indigo carpets, yet he knew exactly where he was going. All the while he carried his unconscious new guest, Shae, effortlessly in his arms.

As soon as any subordinates saw Kim Namjoon round the corner and head in their direction, they would scatter wordlessly out of his path. His all-black ensemble, concentrated gaze, and general intensity discouraged anyone from wanting to get in his way.

On he went, until Joon what he was looking for: the medical bay.

He carried Shae into a brightly lit room that smelled of disinfectant and latex. It was decorated with a range of herbs, flowers, vials and mosses across an landscape of wooden lab cabinets and metallic countertops.

Joon lay Shae down on top of a metallic lab table, shoving specimens carelessly out of the way that clattered onto the floor. He then grasped a towel from a nearby countertop, rolled it up and placed it with far more care under her head of short blonde hair. 

His focused eyes scanned the room for the doctor in residence.

In a far corner of the otherwise-empty medical bay, there was a man with a smooth, handsome face and plump lips who was lazing across a soft pink velvet couch. His feet were propped up on one of the curled couch arms, and a puffy cat-shaped pillow rested under his head. He had a magazine in his hands that he held up in the air above his head, though the surface of it kept shifting and changing every few minutes like a chameleon.

This was Kim Seokjin, the chief medical officer.

He adjusted the pages to see a centerfold of a dessert buffet more clearly, one tongue poking out the side of his mouth—when suddenly his magazine was snatched from his grasp. Instead of delicious food, all he could see was Kim Namjoon's threatening glare.

"Oh look, it's my favorite person," the man's voice dripped with sarcasm. He registered the urgency in Joon's eyes and sighed. "I was just about to take my lunch break. Don't make me lose my appetite."

"I don't have time for your sass right now, there's a--"

"I don't suppose that if I say please, then whatever it is you'll make just... go away?"

"It's urgent, Jin." Joon's concerned, tanned face turned back toward Shae.

Kim Seokjin went from defiant to focused in seconds. He jumped up from the pink couch and rushed over to the examination table, proceeding to check a range of familiar and unfamiliar vital signs of Shae's unconscious form.

"What happened?" he asked.

"She fainted on the platform."

"She was fine before that?"

"From what I could tell—but look at her, she's turning."

Jin could see it, too. Her skin color wasn't right. It was like it was slowly draining of all color, turning a subtle grey. Like a corpse.

"This isn't just from fainting," Jin clarified.

"Do something before it gets worse!"

"Shut up, Joon, I'm working." Jin shouledered his way past Joon to grab an instrument on the countertop reminiscent of a stethoscope.

Joon's narrow eyes were daggers at Jin, but he stepped back from the examination table and let his chief medical officer get to work without interruption. Joon's arms were crossed over his chest. Though a bit anxious, he refused to leave the room or look away while Jin worked and Shae's life force continued its rapid fade.

Until—

"Ah, this is the problem."

Joon took an eager step forward, though not too close to be in Jin's way. The doctor swept his glistening black hair out of his face, gave a self-satisfied smile of his perfectly round lips, then waved a slender disk that made an electric humming noise along the inside of Shae's forearm. Like a chemical reaction to the device's proximity, there appeared a faint white light on her forearm in the shape of four small circles in an interconnected pattern: a magic rune.