Real Talk

Shae had locked the door of her room.

Even at Ava's pounding fist, she wasn't ready to open it yet.

But she was ready to talk.

Shae curled up on the floor with her back against the wall on the far side of her room. She wasn't quite sure what she was doing as she fiddled with the invisible bracelet on her wrist that Lilith had gifted her, but she was determined--and that was enough.

Finally, the small band made a tinkling sound like a bell.

Then the bright, warm voice of Lilith crackled through the wrist band, and the sound washed Shae with relief.

"Shae? Is that you?"

"Lilith?"

"You alright?"

Shae knew she didn't know Lilith well. But she also knew that Lilith had warned her about Joon.

And Lilith had been right.

Shae spilled. Everything that had just transpired, she spilled, wiping back her heartbroken tears as she did so, and Lilith was kind and patient and caring as she listened.

Lilith offered no I told you so's.

Instead, after Shae had told her tale, Lilith's voice crackled brightly through Shae's clear wrist band as she said, "Well, the good news is that the Ganche Games are basically here. And it's the perfect cover."

"Cover?" Shae sniffed and wiped at her eyes with the back of her hand. "For what?"

"For smuggling you and Ava the hell outta that batshit crazy nut house for good, that's what."