Lucid

"This is just a dream. It's just...a dream."

"But it is a good dream."

Pure light. Soft pink color speckled her skin. Shae's short blonde hair was tossed by playful wind.

She smiled into that wispy feeling as joy bloomed inside of her chest, like memories of being swallowed in her mother's perfect hug.

Shae reached up to touch her own cheeks. They were warm, blushing from that pink twilight dancing over her.

That fading light. It glittered through the branches of a broad white tree. She didn't know how she got to the base of it, but there it stood as if it had always been. Shae reached out her hand to touch the bark. It was warm, the white bark, warm and smooth like skin.

Shae looked up.

Soft pink petals fluttered in the branches, playing through the breeze. A few more petals were peeled forth into the wind. They danced and fluttered down, whisked, played once more across her cheeks.

"We believe in you."

Shae turned. No one was behind her, near her.

There was only the tree. The soft pink petals peeling. That fading light.

Then...the soft color began to drain.

All glow was whisked away.

"Why is it...why is it so dark?"

Grey, dull shadow swallowed everything whole. The friendly wind ceased. Her hand was still pressed against the tree trunk.

Except it moved. It stepped closer to her, the form on which her hand rested, and warm breath instead of breeze began spilling over her face. Then almond shaped eyes flashed a brilliant electric blue that seared through the darkness.

A male voice spoke: "Wake up."

Shae's eyes opened, hands clawed at her comforter as she gasped into the darkness of the room where she slept. Her eyes adjusted.

No one. There was no one there.

She touched her cheeks. They felt warm, like hot breath had truly just been spilling over them.