Kids? Not A Chance! (2/2)

"Hey, are you okay?" Stephanie asks me in the dressing room.

"I'm fine," I say before putting on my lab coat and leaving.

Chief Hunt assigns us to an attending, and just my luck, I got Peds. I drag my feet as I walk to the elevator. I press the fourth floor and blow raspberries as the elevator door closes.

Alex does a double take once he sees me walking towards him.

"Hey," He says.

"Do you need me to do your rounds?" I ask.

"Yeah, sure. But are you sure that you don't want—"

"No, I think I can handle it. If not, then I'll page you." I interrupt.

He hands me to clipboards and descend to the first patient that I need to check on.

"Hey is everything okay with you two?" Arizona asks.

Alex sighs before saying:

"Yeah, we're fine."

Once I finish Alex's rounds, I go up to the NICU to see the premature babies and the sick ones. I put on the pink cover and tie it behind my back.

There was one premmy that caught my eye. Her name is Annie and she suffers from a weak kidney and liver function. Her heart shatters into a million pieces as I approach her.

"How can someone so small suffer from something so painful? You barely even started your life yet." I say to her.

I sit in the chair next to her and examine her small body. Her chest rose and fell at a faster pace, which is normal I guess since she's was born a couple days ago.

Then all of a sudden, her vitals started to increase too much for her small little body to handle.

"Nurse!" I call.

A nurse comes running in and open the incubator. She looks me and says:

"Page Karev,"

I nod and do so. Within five minute, Alex came and asks:

"What did you do?"

"I didn't do anything, I was just sitting down, talking to her. Is that such a crime?" I snap.

"No.. there's nothing wrong with that.. it's just. The premmies here are in bad shape and I didn't want you here to get too attached to them when they're barely holding on." He explains.

The monitor still continue to beep and Alex stands there with his hands on his hips.

"What are you doing just standing here?" I ask.

"Her parents signed a DNR.. they knew she wasn't going to make it, and they didn't want her to suffer." He says, closing the incubators.

"So they just left her here all alone? What kind of parents do that? What kind of mother does that?" I say.

"Did you enforce this?" I add.