Devastation (5/5)

I start to walk towards them and Adam was the first stand once he saw me.

He engulfs me in a hug and frantically asks:

"Are you okay? Where's Alyssa? Who did this to you? What happened?"

I pull away from the hug and say:

"I um... I was driving to the ice skating rink when a tractor trailer rammed into us. It hit Alyssa head on. We were dragged from the wreckage and Alyssa was placed in the intensive care unit. I suffered from blunt head trauma, but they treated me and I get discharged tomorrow...."

"What about Alyssa?" My father asks.

"She suffered from much worse... the impact of the truck completely crushed her legs. A piece of the truck bumper's was lodged into her abdomen, inches away from her heart. There was bleeding in her brain, so they operated today. They were going to carefully remove the bumper and try to minimize the bleeding but..." I trail off.

"S-she didn't make it." I stutter out.

Adam cover his mouth and shook his head in denial. My dad flares his nostrils as he clenches his jaw.

I bow my head and hold onto my stomach as I try to contain my sobs.

"I'm going to track down the driver of the track and I'm going to unload all of the-"

"Dad." Adam interrupts.

There was silence until I release a sob.

"I couldn't save her.." I trail off.

"May." Adam says softly.

"I should have looked." I say in between sobs.

"It's okay baby, I've got you. Daddy's got you." I hear my dad say in a comforting manner.

I push away his arms and say:

"No! You... you are a coward. When Mom died, you left us! You joined the Marines and risked your life instead of staying with us. You would rather die on the battlefield than to deal with us. We were all hurting after Mom, and you left me! I had to be mother, father and sister for Alyssa and Adam. Aunt Barbara did nothing but yell at us, so I had to defend them against her too. You should be ashamed of yourself."

"What are you going to do now, huh! Take two more tours? Take Adam with you?" I add.

"May." Adam mediates.

"No, Adam. She's right. But she's saying these things because she's hurt and she has no one else." Dad says.

"You left me when I needed you most. I hate you. I hate you so much." I say as I let tears escape my eyes.

Dad steps forward and I find myself collapsing onto his chest.

"Shhhh. I know you're feeling a range of emotions right now: sadness, anger, guilt. And I know I wasn't there for you when your mother passed. But I promise to not leave you now." He says.

He pulls me closer and ran his fingers through my hair in a comforting manner. My breathing began to intensify and loud sobs erupt from me.

"Nooo!" I say as I sob.

"Nooo!"

I bury my face against his collarbone and he says:

"Daddy's got you."

I sniffle a little and rest my chin on top of his shoulder. I sob quietly to myself and I feel Adam wrapping his arm around me. He rests his face against Dad's other arm.

"I'm not going anywhere kids. I promise." Dad says.

**

It's been two weeks since Alyssa's death. She's always loved traveling. She kept a list of places she wanted to visit in her journal.

In honor of her, I'm going to visit all of those place, take a pictures of it and post it on her social media. Plus, I'm going to scrapbook it too, because Alyssa loves to scrapbook.

I told Adam and Dad that it was okay to go back to Honolulu, Hawaii- where we grew up- and that I would meet them there after I pack everything and sell everything else.

Once I finally sold the house and gave away everything else I didn't want, I booked a plane ticket to Hawaii.

I didn't throw away any of Alyssa things, I just couldn't. So I packed everything in a separate suitcase.

I popped open my trunk using my key from inside the house. I carry the first two suitcases down stairs. I open the door to see the rain pouring down like cats and dogs.

I huff before I say:

"Just great."

I roll the suitcases onto the driveway and lifted them into the trunk. I jogged back inside to get my two duffel bags. I come back to see a car pull up into my driveway.

"What the hell?" I say to myself.

I see a familiar figure hop out of his car. I finally realize that it was Alex.

"Alex what are you doing here?" I ask.

"What am I going here? What are you doing? Are you moving?" He asks.

"Yes, I am." I say.

"What the hell is wrong with you? You don't speak to me for two weeks and when I finally gain the balls to come over and talk to you... you're leaving?" He snaps.

"Where are going?" He asks.

"Back to Honolulu, Hawaii. I'm only going there to drop off my stuff before I got travel." I say as I walk to my trunk.

I close the trunk and turn around to see Alex.

"May talk to me, please." He begs.

I take a deep breath before I say:

"Alyssa always loved to travel. One of her dreams was to travel around the world. I'm going to do that in honor of her. And I'm going to scrapbook it as well as post it on her social media accounts.... I have to do this, Alex. It's the least I can do."

"Well.... why do you have to move back to Honolulu?" He asks.

"Because I made a promise to my father and brother. They're all I have now." I say.

"No there not, I'm still here. Remember that." He says.

The cold wind whips through my soaking clothes.

"Can we going into the house? It's freezing out here." I suggest.

"What time is your flight?" He asks, completely blowing off my question.

"Tomorrow afternoon, I just wanted to get everything in check before I left.." I say.

"So you're not leaving?" He asked.

"No, I'm not."

"Good."

He presses me against my car and presses a kiss on my lips. A taste of water and bourbon laced his tongue. He trails his hands down my jawline as my eyes fluttered closed. I sigh in to kiss and he titled his head to the side to deepen the kiss.

He finally pulls away and lifts me into his arms. He wraps my legs around his waist and says:

"I want to give you something to remember me by."

He walks me into the house and closes the door with me still in his arms.