The Affair (Jackson) [1/5]

"Someone, run into the supply closet and grab at 15 gauge needle. Stat!" Dr. Grey screams at us interns.

My body tenses at her scream and the other interns froze in fear. Before my mind could register, my legs were already sprinting towards the nearest supply closet. I scavenge the shelves and grab a 25 gauge needle before running back out of the closet again.

I sprint back into the room and gave Meredith the needle. She inserted the needle into the patient's chest to allow the patient to breathe. Once the patient is stable Dr.Grey says to the nurse:

"Book an O.R., we have fix his collapsed lung before one of us isn't there to crike him."

"Yes doctor," The nurse says before scurrying out of the room.

We all follow Dr. Grey out of the room and she glares at the other interns.

"As surgeon and as a doctor-- even as a nurse!-- You cannot freeze. What happened in there cannot happen again; because if that does happen again, then there will not be a patent to crike. Is that understood?" She lectures.

Her Medusa-like gaze falls onto me and I gulp loudly.

"You. What's your name?" She asks.

"Uh... Y/N. My name is Y/N." I say with volume.

She looks at me from head to toe before returning her gaze to my eyes.

"Beautiful name. And you seem physically fit and you're quick on your feet, that's good for Trauma." She compliments.

"Thank you?" I say with a questioning voice.

"Look alive, interns. Y/N is already ahead of the game. If you don't get on her level, you might find yourself still undecided and she's on her merry way to winning a Harper Avery. Step it up, interns. Step. It. Up." She says.

"Let's go," She adds.

I catch many glares from the other interns, but I don't care. It's nice to feel recognized, even if I am an intern.

"Y/N, I would like you to be on Hunt's service." She says.

"Yes ma'am," I say before jogging towards the elevator.

I press the elevator button to the first floor and waited until the elevator dinged as it opened. I step out of the elevator and speed walk to the E.R. when us heard a sniffle coming from an empty room. I stop in my tracks and back pedal to the room. I press my ear against the door and I did in fact hear someone crying.

I slowly open the door and walked into the room. I softly close the door and walk further until I see a man leaning against the metal rack. He has his arms folded on the rack and he leaned his head against them. I couldn't see his face, but I could tell that he was an attending based on his navy blue scrubs.

His lean body caved as he sobbed. My body flinches when he lifts his head up.

"Are you okay, doctor?" I say softly.

The man yells in fear, causing me to do the same. We both jump back at the same time.

"Jesus Christ, lady!" He yells at me.

"You don't just sneak up on someone like that. I need to get you a bell!" He says.

"I'm sorry, I just heard you crying and wanted to check if you were okay." I justify.

"Yeah well I'm fine, you can go now." He interrupts.

"A-are you sure?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." He says wiping away his tears.

He rests his hands on his hips as releases a shaky breathe. His eyes finally meet mine and that's when I realized who he was.

"Wait a minute, you're Dr. Avery, right?" I ask.

"The Head of Plastics?" I add.

"That'd be me."

"Look, I'm not here to judge you. I just wanted to make sure that you--"

"NO, I'M NOT OKAY! MY WIFE AND I JUST HELD OUR DYING BABY FOR THE FIRST TIME LAST NIGHT! THERE WAS NO WAY THAT HE COULD SURVIVED, HE HAD DISEASE THAT HE COULD HAVE NEVER SURVIVED. AND THERE WAS NOTHING WE COULD HAVE DONE TO SAVE HIM! MY WIFE WAS BARELY HOLDING IT TOGETHER AND SHE'S SPIRALLING INTO DEPRESSION AND THE ONLY LOGICAL THING SHE SHOULD COME UP WITH IS TO GO HALF WAY ACROSS THE WORLD TO HELP WOUNDED SOLDERS! I CAN PRACTICALLY FEEL OUR MARRIAGE DYING SO NO, I'M NOT OKAY. STOP ASKING ME IF I'M OKAY! Okay?" He spazzes.

I stand there with my frozen body leaning against the metal rack with unexpected tears trailing down my face.

"I'm sorry, I'm just... I'm tired of being asked the same question again. I'm tired of people bringing up Samuel as if I somehow forgot what happened to him. Like no, I can never forget the death of my child. Who could e.." His voice trails off as it cracks.

"I'm sorry," he adds before sobbing again.

I snap out of my fearful trance and cautiously walk towards him. I softly touch his arm and he flinched. He looked up at me with tear stained cheeks and I meet his gaze. My hand finds the back of his neck as I pull him in for a hug. My arms wrapped around his lean, muscular frame.

His hands hung loosely at his sides as he stared down at me confusingly. He hesitantly placed his hands on my back and rested his head on my shoulder. He released a shaky breath before he started to silently sob. I shush him and rub comforting circles on his back.

"I lost my baby boy." He croaks.

"I'm so sorry," I say.

He hugs me tighter and I add:

"I know that I don't know you well enough to give you advice.. but it sounds like you need a break from everything. Right now, you think that it is the end, but it's not. It may be true that all good things come to an end, but that doesn't mean that more good things can't sprout in its wake."

I slowly pull away from him and my heart races as his gorgeous, blue eyes meet my gaze. After a moment or two of staring at each other, I snap out of it and say:

"I should probably head back to trauma. Dr. Hunt was expecting me."

Dr. Avery softly nods and I hand him a box of tissues.

He mumbles thanks and I give him one last glance before leaving the room.

"Hey," he calls at the last minute.

I give him my undivided attention and he says:

"Would mind if you- c-could you keep this to yourself? I wouldn't want this getting out."

"My lips are sealed." I say.

With that I left Dr. Avery and I grab a yellow cover. I tie the yellow cover over my scrubs as I jog to the emergency room.

"Travers, where the hell have you been? Dr. Grey said you were suppose to be here twenty minutes ago." Dr. Hunt says as he pushes in a gurney.

"I got lost trying to get here. I'm sorry sir, and it won't happen again." I say.

His ocean blue eyes hold my gaze as an act of intimidation, but I decided to hold my ground. He nods softly and says:

"Bed four and seven need a check up. Call a resident to check your work. And when you're done with that, meet me in the ambulance pit. Got it?"

"Yes sir," I say before heading off to do my assigned tasks.