The Tragedy of Seattle Grace Mercy West (2/4)

After he left, I got a page from a nurse telling me that one of my patients is coding.

"Karev, meet me in Room 1202, and bring a crash cart." I direct.

I glance back at Karev before running to save one of my patients.

"Push two of Epi; I'm starting compressions." I say.

I link my hands over one another and begin pressing on the patient's chest in increments of three until Karev got here.

"I'm here, I'm here. Everybody make room." Karev states as he turns on the paddles.

The paddles release a high pitched whine as they turn on.

"I'm charging to 200; clear!"

"Aystole." I say.

"Charge to 300; clear!"

"No response."

"Damn it, charge to 300 again; clear!"

The patient's heart beat went back to normal followed by the rest of his vitals.

"Good work, Karev. Third time's the charm." I encourage as I pat him on his back.

As we walk out of the room, both of our pages go off at the same time. I look down at mine to see it blinking: Initiate Lockdown; the page was sent but Derek.

Karev and I exchange a look before he says:

"I'll round up the other nurses and make tell them to secure their patients."

"I'll do the same."

And with that, we went our separate ways.

"Do you know why we are in lockdown?" A nurse asks.

"No, I have no idea. I talked to Derek this morning and he didn't mention a lockdown drill."

"Maybe it's not a drill." She suggests.

"Let's hope it is, just secure your patients before you do anything else. Make sure to keep in contact with other nurses." I say.

She nods and walks into a patient's room. I scan the premise for anything out of the ordinary, and I come up with nothing.

"I need a vial of Lanoxin, my patient is going into heart failure, it's only way we can stabilize her until her surgery later on today; she will die without it." A nurse says.

"I got it," I say as I walk to elevator.

"No, I got it.. it could be something dangerous somewhere in this hospital and I don't want you to get hurt." Karev states.

"Karev, I'm a big girl; I can take care of myself." I say.

"You're needed here." He says before the elevator closes with him in it.

I huff as I run my fingers through my hair.

"Alright, after all of your patients are secured, stay with your most critical patient and close your doors. Keep your noises to a minimum, and if the matters are worse, I will yell out the code: panther. If you hear this code, all of you stop talking and make no noises at all. Am I understood?" I say loud enough for everyone to hear.

"Yes ma'am." They say collectively.

"Good, carry on." I say.

Soon after, we heard a gun shot from the wing below us, which was the plastics wing.

"Mark." I say under my breath.

Nurses and patients start to panic at the sound of the gunshot.

"Panther! Panther!" I yell.

All of the nurse scramble to their rooms and close their doors.

I turn off all of the lights in the wing and hide inside a large basket in the supply closet. I hear slow footsteps come into the hall and a breathe hitches in my throat. Tears slip out my eyes and suddenly my mind reverts back to where my parents were shot in a mugging.

I cover my mouth before I could release any sobs. I hear a door open, followed my a whimper from a nurse.

"Is there a surgeon on this floor?" A man asks with a soft tone.

When the nurse doesn't respond, he yells:

"Is there a surgeon on this floor?!"

"Yes! Yes there is. Her name is Y/N Y/L/N, she's a hematologist and she's been in multiple surgeries. She helps with blood clots and diseases. S-she's hiding in the supply closet." A nurse rants.

My heart bangs against my chest cavity as I hear his footsteps come closer and closer to the closet. I quickly get out of the basket and hide behind the door. He opens the door and holds out his gun as he walks in.

Before he could even react, I grab the hand with the gun and slam his hand against the door. I grab his arm and throw him over my shoulder.

He lands on the floor and clutches his arm in pain. I close the door to the supply closet and run as fast as I could to the stairs. I hear a bullet whistle past my ear, encouraging me to move faster.

I go up the stairs three steps and scurry to the floor above me. I wipe away my tears before they cloud my vision.

I continue running until I feel a strong pair of arms press me against the wall.

"No! Please let me go, I didn't kill your wife. I swear I didn't." I say.

"Shhhh. Y/N, stop. It's me." A familiar, soothing voice say.

I look up to meet the dark blue eyes of Derek Sheppard.

"Oh my god."

"Shhh. Listen to me, you don't have time. There is a shooter in the hospital and I don't know where he is-"

"He's in the wing below us. He tried to shoot because I am a surgeon." I say nearly sobbing into his arms.

"Hey, Hey. You have to be strong right now, okay? Follow me." He directs.

He hold onto my arm and leads me to a room where Cristina and Meredith sit. They release shaky breathes as they stare up at us with tear stained cheeks.

"Y/N, Oh my God? Are you okay? Why are you bleeding?" Cristina frantically asks.

"I-I don't know. I heard a bullet come passed my ear but I didn't think it hit me." I say.

Meredith stands and examines my ears before saying:

"He just grazed you, thank god."

"How did you run away?" Cristina asks.

"Guys, keep it down. I'm going back to find the shooter." Derek says.

"No, Derek." Meredith and I say in unison.

"I'll be fine. Just stay here and keep it down." He says before he closes the door.

Cristina and Meredith slide down the wall. I mimic this actions, and decided to answer Cristina's question.

"I, uh.. I fought him. A nurse ratted me out and I had to fight my way out of there." I say.

"What? Did you break anything?" Cristina whispers.

"I injured his arm and his ribs but nothing serious... My main motive was to get the hell out of there. But the next change I get, I'm going to take him down." I say.

The next thing I knew, we heard a scream, follows by a gun shot echo near our door. I nearly yelp out, but I cover my mouth before I could.

Meredith inhales sharply and I peek out the window to see a horrible sight.