Devastation (4/5)

Alex continued to hold me, I leaned onto him more than I should. I'm becoming vulnerable, and I need to be strong. Especially in a situation like this. I had to stay strong for myself and for Y/S/N when Mom died.

I still need to be strong now. I push him away by his chest and he says:

"Come on, Y/N."

"No Alex, I'm fine." I say as I wipe away my tears.

"No, you're not fine. You can talk to me. I care about you, Y/N." He says.

"I know you do... but I refuse to break down in front of all of these people. I can't.. I'm sorry. Can we just focus on signing the papers please?" I say.

"Y/N-"

"Please Alex."

"Fine." Alex says as he sits down.

He hands me the papers as he explains what is on them.

As I continue to sign, he asked:

"Do you need me to call your father, or your brother?... or both?"

I stop signing and look up at him.

"I.... I don't know." I say.

"I mean, they have the right to know, she's family. But my father... he's... he's a coward. When my mother died, instead of comforting us, he enlisted in the Marines the following week. And he left us with one of our strictest Aunts. When he gets here, I don't want anything to do with him." I add.

"And your brother?" He asks.

"Adam is innocent, he didn't know what was going on. He's my little brother, I've been looking after him ever since he was born." I say.

"So you would like me to call them?" He asks.

I nod my head and look back down at the paper to sign them.

"By the way, you get discharged tomorrow. But I'm assuming that you are not going to be leaving the hospital anytime soon. You can roam the halls every now and then, just be cautious. And let me or Dr. Sheppard know if you are feeling lightheaded or anything of the sorts." He explains.

I nod and finish signing the papers. He takes the papers from me and presses a kiss to my forehead before walking out of the door.

**

As nightfall came, Alex gave me a heads up that Alyssa was going into surgery. I follow him to the wing there were operating on and I decided to pace back and forth on the wing. I chew the inside of my cheeks as my breathing increases by the minute. I run my fingers through my hair and attempt to take deep breathes, but no avail.

Then I hear a door open and I immediately turn around. I see Alex looking back into the room, almost as if he was talking to someone. He motions to me and ended the conversation. He began to walk towards me and I feel like my heart stopped beating.

"Y/N... Y/S/N didn't make it, I'm so sorry. The injuries were too..."

Alex's voice fades away as he continues to speak about Y/S/N death.

I cover my mouth with shock and tears began to violently flow out of my eyes.

"No." I say under my breath.

I slide my hand so that is covers my face and I silently cried to myself. I feel Alex's chest against my arm as he attempt to comfort me. But nothing could comfort me at the moment, absolutely nothing.

My chest shook with sobs and I try to take deep breathes.

"Can I see her?" I squeak out.

Alex's hands rubbed circles on my back and he says:

"Yeah, they are allowing you in there for fifteen minutes."

I nod and take out my I.V. I see a crowd of doctors in scrubs looking at me with sorrow.

"I don't need your pity." I say as I walk passed them.

I release a shaky breath before I walk through the surgical doors.

I breath hitched in my throat as I see Alyssa's pale, scarred body.

"Y/S/N, no." I say softly.

I take small steps and hold her hand in mine. I wince at her cold touch. Blood stains through the blue sheets that cover her abdomen and her head.

I softly touch her forehead and sobs escape my mouth.

"I'm so sorry, Y/S/N. I s-s-should have looked before I turned." I say.

"This is all of my fault." I add.

I rest my head on her chest and I continued to cry.

"Y/N." Alex says.

"I need more time. Just a few more minutes, please." I plead.

"No, it's not that. Your father and brother are here." He states.

I lift my head up from Y/S/N chest and turn around.

"I could tell them to come back later on, if you'd like." Alex suggests.

I dryly laugh before I say:

"Knowing my father, that probably wouldn't be the wisest idea."

I let Alex lead the way to the lobby. Once we get off of the elevator, I see my father and brother, Adam, sitting down with their elbows rested on their knees.