The Tragedy of Seattle Grace Mercy West (3/4)

As I look out the window, I see April standing there frozen in fear. Derek is bleeding for a gun shot wound to the abdomen and the shooter has his arm extended.

I turn back around and slide down the door.

"What? What did you see?" Cristina asks.

"D-Derek, he.. he shot Derek." I say.

Meredith stares at me with wide eyes and says:

"What?"

I stand up again and look out the window to see the shooter was no longer there.

"The shooter is gone." I whisper.

"Let me see if the coast is clear, stay here until I get back." I add.

"What? No, Derek said that and he got shot." Cristina says.

"Stay here until I get back." I command.

They both nod hesitantly and I peek my head out of the door. I look both ways and i didn't see the shooter. I hide behind one of the pillars and peek around each corner; I still don't see the shooter.

I turn to the door where Cristina and Meredith are peeking through. I motion for them to come out and they do so.

I file in behind me and I lead them to where Derek lays. Meredith and Cristina are kneeling down to examine Derek, whereas I am keeping a look out for the shooter.

"Cristina, find an open O.R. and prepare the tools for surgery." Meredith directs.

Cristina nods and follows her orders.

"April, go to the supply closet and get as much gauge as you can." Meredith adds.

"I... I can't." April says.

"No April, you do not get to do that. You're the one you got Derek shot because you screamed. So grow up and go into the supply closet!" Meredith spazzes.

"Mer, you need to chill. I'll go to the supply closet." I offer.

I jog to the supply closet and grab the whole bin of gauge. I jog back to Meredith and she applies as much pressure to the wound as she could.

Derek's face begins to lose its color and his breathing is shallow.

"Meredith, he doesn't look too good. We need to get him to the O.R. right now." I say.

"I'm aware of that, help me get him up." She states.

I bend my knees as I lift him off of the ground. He groans and I say:

"Sorry Derek, but we need to get to the O.R. as soon as possible."

"It's okay. You're doing great." Derek says weakly.

I lean his weight on my left side and Meredith hold up his weight on her right side. April tries to help but Meredith glowers at her before saying;

"You've done enough."

We use the elevator and finally got to O.R. wing. Cristina waves us over and I see Jackson already in scrubs.

"Y/N?" I hear him say.

I assist Meredith on laying Derek on the table. Once we do that, Jackson pulls me in for a hug.

"Thank God you are okay." He whispers.

"You cannot me in here with me Meredith. I cannot concentrate with you giving me the please-don't-kill-my-husband eyes. You're a distraction and I can't afford distractions. Do you want me to kill him? Do you want me to kill him Meredith?" Cristina states.

I pull away for the hug, but Jackson's grip doesn't leave my body.

Meredith shakes her head and release a few sobs.

"April, go into the prepping area and take Meredith with you. Sit down with your backs touching the sink, and whatever you do, don't let Meredith look. Do what you gave to, to make sure Meredith cannot look at the surgery." Cristina directs.

"Cristina." I hear Meredith plead.

"Go!" Cristina snaps.

April takes Meredith to the prepping area and they stay in there.

"I'll go with them, and try to keep them calm." I say as I walk towards the door.

"Y/N." Jackson says as he hold onto my wrist.

"I'll be fine, Jack. Just trust me." I say.

His baby blue eyes burrow in my dark brown orbs.

"I'll be fine." I reassure.

I walk into prepping area where April and Meredith sat with their hands intertwined.

They both gasp loudly until they release that it was me. They look up at me with their tear stained cheeks.

"Cristina is an excellent surgeon and she is your best friend. She will do everything that she can to save Derek." I say.

Meredith bows her head as her body shakes with every sob. April looks at me and I mouth:

"Do something."

She snaps out of her gaze and pulls Meredith in for a hug. Meredith silently sobs into April's shoulder.

I hear the door to the prep area open and I go into fight stance. I turn into a side kick and hit Owen in the solar plexus.

"Oh crap, sorry Owen." I say.

"It's fine." He says as he doubles over.

I walk over to Owen and lift his arms so it helps  him breath. He coughs as he takes elongated breathes.

"Where's Cristina?" Owen asks.

"She's doing surgery on Derek, he got shot." I explain.

I look up to see the gunman holding a gun to Cristina's head. Owen notices the same thing and he says:

"They are doing pretty good."

"I'll go check on them." He adds, trying not to raise panic in them.

"I'll go with you." I say.

Owen and I walk in and the man points a gun towards us.

"Stay where you are!" He snaps at us.

My body grows stiff at his words and the man points the gun at Cristina again.

"Let him die." He says.

"No, I can't." Cristina whimpers.

"Stop moving!" The man says to Jackson and another nurse.

"Jack." I say underneath my breath.

"You.. you're the one that nearly broke my arm." The man says as he steps closer to me and aims the gun at me.

"No!" Jackson says.

"Shut up!" The man yells.

"Wait!" Meredith yells as she stumbles in the surgical room.

"Shoot me; if you want people to suffered like you did, you can shoot me. This hospital will suffer, because the best doctor they had was my mother. Chief Webber, I'm like a daughter to him. And the man laying there on the table, I'm his wife. So if you want them to suffer, shoot me." She adds.