Mishap (2/3)

I wait inside until my Uber got here. I just finished my night shift at Seattle Grace and I promised Derek that I will meet him and Meredith at some fancy restaurant for some odd reason. By the way he's been acting around her, I think he plans on asking her to marry him. And I think he plans on doing this tonight.

The pitter patter of the rain against the glass was quite soothing. I lean against the glass and nervously fiddled with the zipper of my messenger bag.

"You waiting for someone?" Mark asks.

"No, I'm waiting for my Uber." I say coldly.

"Well, I could-"

"No, I already paid him. Plus, he's two minutes away, so.." I trail off.

"Okay, fine. Just .... get home safe." He says before walking out.

I watch as he walks away when I see a large, dark figure coming out of an alley way. I could recognize his face but one thing I know for sure, is that I see something shiny and metallic in his hands. And he does look like he has good intentions.

Before I could even process, I'm already outside and running. I ignore the sharp stings of the rain droplets as they hit my face and I continue running.

"Mark, lookout!" I say.

Mark stops walking and turns around to face me. The rain intensified and it became impossible to see. The cold chill of the air made matters worse. The figure now holds the gun and it is aimed right at Mark. I hear the ignition of the gun firing and I jump in front of Mark just in time. I fell the bullet hit my right in my hip and I hunch over in pain. The figure is scared away by an out-of-control car and runs away.

"Y/N, oh my god." Mark says as he crouched down to level himself with me.

He moves my hands so they rest on his shoulders and he lifts up my shirt to observe my wound.

The headlights of the car grew closer and closer to us. I hear tires squealing, which causes me to look up to see the car swerving and heading straight towards us. The car is being driven by an elder man. As his eyes come into contact mine, I notice how scared he really is.

"Mark, we have to move.' I say weakly.

"No, we're not going anywhere. You're losing a lot of blood and I'm not going to move you until I get it under control." He says.

I manage to muster up enough strength to push Mark out the way.

The next thing I know, I'm rolling on top of that car and my head smacks against the pavement. At this point, there isn't a single part of my body that isnt throbbing in pain right now. I try to move my legs and pain shoots from my knees down. I yell out in pain as I try to move.

"Mark!" I cry out.

"Y/N!" He yells as he slides to a halt.

He falls down on his knees and cradles my head in his lap. He looks at me from with terror as he examines me. I cough up blood and he says:

"Y/N, I need you to listen to me. Do not move, okay?"

"Mark, help. Please.... I-it's hurts." I sob out.

I inhale a breath as I see black wisps come across my vision. Mark's face started to turn blurry and he notices my lack of consciousness.

"No, no, no. Y/N, open your eyes. Y/N!"

That is the last thing I hear before I pass out.

Mark's P.O.V.:
My heart bangs against my chest cavity as Y/N goes limp in my arms. She has no more blood oozing from her abdomen and leg. Her tibia is sticking out on her right leg and her and her femur is snapped on her left leg. From the looks of it, she's cracked three ribs and has a severe concussion. Her pulse is weak and without thinking, I lift her up into my arms and run her into the hospital.

"Help! I need help!" I exclaim.

"Dr. Sloan? What happened?" Dr. Bailey asks.

"S-She's been shot and a car hit her... she was protecting me, I sh- I should have been paying attention. This is all my fault, oh my god." I rant.

I release a shaking breath as tears escape my eyes.

"Dr. Sloan? Dr. Sloan, listen to me. You need to pull it together, okay? You have to put her on the gurney and let us take care of her." Dr. Bailey directs.

I gently set Y/N on the gurney and Dr. Bailey says:

"You can't be there to scrub in."

"What? Hell no, she's my best friend! I can't not scrub in!" I snap.

"Not in this state you won't." She contradicts.

She rolls Y/N into the elevator to the orthopedic floor. I link my fingers on top of my head and close my eyes. My throat stings as I try to hold back my tears. Tears slowly trickle down my cheeks and I hear someone say:

"Mark?"

I open my eyes to see Addison. At this point, I don't even care what state I'm in around her. Y/N is twice the woman Addison could ever be.

"A-are you crying?" She asks.

"Forget about that. Call Dr. Webber and Derek, Y/N has been in an accident." I say.

"What kind of accident?" She asks.

"She was shot while protecting me and she jumped in front of the car before it hit me. She's.. she's in bad shape. Just please... call them." I plead.

"O-okay, i will. Just stay here and try and stay calm, okay?" She says as she reaches to touch me.

I slide away from her before I say:

"Okay."

"You love her don't you?" She asks.

I cross my arms and look at her. She takes my silence her queue to leave.

"I'll call them." She says before she walks away.

I sit down in the waiting room and rest my elbows on my knees. I press my hands to my mouth as I think.

"What the hell did I do?" I say to myself.