Mishap (3/3)

"Mark! What the hell happened?" Derek asks as he approaches.

Meredith runs to catch up with him.

"There was a man, a mugger. I didn't see him, but she did and she step in front of me when he fired. She lost a lot of blood but then... there was a c-, a car that spun out of control. She warned me, she said that we should move out for the way but I- I didn't listen. I wanted to stop the bleeding before I moved her.. before I could even react, she took another hit for me." I say.

"She got ran over by a car?" Derek asks.

I nod as I strain to hold back my tears.

"Where the hell were you? You were suppose to be the one protecting her, not the other way around." Derek snaps.

"Derek, there was nothing-" Meredith starts.

"Meredith, stay out of this." Derek snarks.

"You don't think that I know that? This is all my fault. I should have seen that mugger, but I didn't. She did and she got shot for it. I should have listened to her and got out of the way. But I didn't! And she got ran over by a car? I know that I'm at fault for this! Even when she hates me, she is still looking after me. If she doesn't recover from this, so help me God!" I rant.

I inhale deeply and found my lungs straining to move properly. I try to take a deep breath and I feel like an anvil is on my chest. I clutch my chest and hunch over.

"Mark?" Derek asks.

My breathes are now short rapid and there is nothing I can do to stop it.

"I cant breath." I say in between breathes.

"Oh no." Meredith says.

"He's having a panic attack. Meredith grab a brown bag from the supply closet." Derek directs.

Meredith complies and Derek insists I sit down.

"You need to breathe, okay? I know you care about her, but she needs you to be strong for when she wakes up." Derek states.

Meredith runs back and hands me the bag. I press the bag to my lips and slowly inhale and exhale.

My normal breathing pace restores and Derek continues talking:

"I'm my fault too, ya know... None of this would have happen if I didn't bring her here; if I didn't drag her here from Las Vegas just to get revenge on you and Addison.... Now that I think about it, I am selfish... I used her passion to lure her here, like a bee is drawn to honey."

Derek sits down next to me and slides down in his chair slightly. He links his finger together and I still use the bag but I look over at him.

"She's going to wake up, Mark... something that you and I both know is that Y/F/N never gives up." He adds.

I place the bag on my lap and smile slightly at his words.

"She hates the name Y/F/N." I say.

"She really does." Derek states.

We both laugh as we think of our own memories with Y/N.

"You think she's going to get through this?" I ask.

"Of course she is." Derek reassures.

**

Hours passed until Dr. Bailey walked to us. Derek and I immediately stand once we see her.

"How is she?" I ask.

"She's lost a lot of blood but luckily, we were able to give her a blood transfusion and now she is stabilized. But her other injuries will take longer to heal." She says.

"What are her other injuries?" Derek asks.

"She snapped her tibia on her right leg and her femur is snapped on her left leg. From the looks of it, she's cracked four ribs and has a severe concussion." She adds.

I can hear my heartbeat in my ears and I crack my knuckles with nervousness.

"Is she.. i-is she in pain?" I ask.

"We have dosed her with lots of morphine, but it can only do some much, you know?" She states.

"When can we see her?" Derek asks.

"You're more than welcome to right now, but we still need to run some more tests."

"Thank you, Bailey." Derek and I say in unison.

**

Derek, Meredith, Addison and I have all been in Y/N's room for going on three hours.

Meredith managed to persuade Derek to try and get a good nights sleep before a long day tomorrow.

Addison tried to do the same with me but I am not going to leave Y/N's side. I already made the mistake of leaving her before. And I'm not going to make the same mistake again.

Y/N's constant beep on the heart monitor gives me relief. I scoot my chair closer and hold her delicate hand in mine.

I rub the back of her hand with my thumb as a I say:

"I know you're unconscious right now, but I figure I should practice my 'I'm Sorry' speech before you wake up. So... here it goes.. What happened to you today... it was my fault. I should have been more alert, and maybe this wouldn't have happened... There are so many things that happened I want to tell you but I couldn't.. The five years that we were away from each other, was the worst five years of my life because I didn't have you. I didn't have you and I wanted you. And I'm not the same without you in my life. I love you, Y/N."

I look at her and see if she heard me. She falters slightly before she sighs. The noise of  her normal soft snores calmed my nerves.

"I love you too." I hear her say faintly.

I nearly jump out of my seat in excitement.

"What did you just say?" I ask softly.

"I said.. I love... I-I love you too." She says.

I stand and gently tuck a strand of hair behind her ear. She flinches as I accidentally touch her stitches.

"Sorry." I mumble.

She slowly, but surely opened her eyes and looks at me.

"Hey there beautiful." I say.

"Hi." She says.

She slides herself over and winces in pain.

"Hey, hey, hey. What do you think you are doing?" I ask.

She doesn't say anything, she just pats the spot next to her.

"A-are you sure?" I ask.

She nods and pats the spot again. I hesitantly lay next to her and pull her closer to my chest. I gently cup the back of her head and my other arm slides on the lower part of her back.

I feel her grip my shirt as she nuzzles her face into my neck.

I hear her inhale sharply before she cries. Her body shakes slight as she continues to sob.

"I missed you." She admits.

A small tear escapes my eye and I tighten my grip on her.

She winces before she says:

"Ow!"

"I'm sorry." I apologize.

"I missed you too." I say.

"Don't leave me again, please." She says as she cries.

I press a kiss to her to temple before I say:

"I'm not going anywhere."