After Math (3/3)

"I told you that I'm fine, Jackson. I don't need someone walking me to my front door." I say.

"I don't trust this neighborhood." He states.

I stop mid-way on my steps and face him.

"I live in one of the safest neighborhoods in Seattle. I think that you want to use that as an excuse to make more conversation." I say.

"Maybe.. maybe not." He says as he walks up the stairs to meet me.

He leans in so close that I could taste the bourbon in his breath. Our noses brush together but I pull away before anything could happen.

I take more steps until I meet my front door.

"No kiss for you." I say.

"Uh-huh."

Before I could even react, Jackson's lips are on mine and I am pressed against my door. He hold the side of my face with one hand and boxes me in with the other.

At first, my hands are frozen in shock of what is happening. But finally I give in and link my arms behind his head.

His soft lips massage mine as he tilts his head to side to deepen the kiss. My knees buckle with each one of his kisses. I unintentionally hum into the kiss and pull away before things get serious.

"That was a lot better than I expected." He says.

I am at a current loss for words, so all I could do was stare at him in awe.

"What, cat got your tongue?" He says as he tucks a strand of hair behind my ear.

I suppress a moan before I say:

"I'll uh.. I'll see you at work."

"Yes you will."

And with that, I walk into my house and Jackson walks back to his car. I collapse onto my couch and stare up at the ceiling for a little while. An unexpected smile spreads across my face when I think back to the conversations Jackson and I had.

The fact that I am calling him Jackson instead of Avery, scares the living crap out of me. I don't want to get too attached.

I don't mix my personal life with my work life. Not only am I protecting myself, but I am protecting other people that want to be involved with me. I don't think Jackson understands just how much baggage I have.

I need to confront him first thing tomorrow.

**

"Hey there, beautiful." Jackson greets when I walk into Seattle Grace Mercy West.

"We need to talk." I say as I cross my arms.

"Ooooh." Charles taunts.

"Oh can it, Frankenstein." I snap.

Jackson leads me to the on call room; he locks the door before he says:

"What's up?"

"This? This won't work." I say motion between us.

"This won't work, or this can't work?" He asks.

"Both! I don't mix my personal life and my work life for a reason. I just lost my foster mother, and I was depressed for almost two months. I just got out of this depression and I do not want to fall back into when you decided to break my heart. Because I know that it is bound to happen. Look at you, you're gorgeous and you are a heartbreaker." I snap.

"Don't. You don't know me. Just like I don't know you. And none of us can predict the future, so don't think that you are protecting yourself. For all we know, you could be hurting yourself more. You don't know what is going to happen; you're scared, I get it. But life is about taking risks, and if you are constantly scared of getting hurt, then you are not living. You are beautiful and you deserve to feel alive; I can help you do that. Let me show you what it's like to live." He states.

A small part of me wants to give into his words, and another part wants me to cut this off before it starts.

"I don't want you on my service; and this is not going to advance any further. I'm cutting this off before it starts." I say as I reach for the door.

I feel a tight grip on my wrist and am twirled against Jackson's chest. He keeps his grip on my wrist and holds my face in his other hand.

He seals his lips onto mine and bites down on my bottom lip. I sigh into the kiss and lean my body into him.

His hands slides to my back and my hands cup the sides of his perfectly smooth face. He pulls away and rests his forehead against mine.

"I just advanced it." He says.

I lift my head so our lips brush up against each other. I jump up and wrap my legs around his waist. He looks up at me in surprise and I press my lips on his. He sits down on the bed with me on his lap. I straddle him as he lays on his back.

Maybe there taking risks isn't so bad after all.